Hello friends,

Interested to hear it anyone here has had this diagnosis applied to their case-- Field Cancerization, also called Field Carcinogenesis.

My case was taken back before the Tumor Board recently, because I had a New Primary invasive SqCC develop early this year-- which came up Only 1 Year Post my Radiation treatments.

This is tumor #6, in a 2 year period. #6....

The January biopsy of it was " Atypical squamous proliferation, complex architecture" It was abnormal but " not cancer" at that point. But after the 2 punch biopsy-- it took off and quickly quadrupled in size. It grew from front Floor of mouth and it grew into / invaded my reconstructed tongue flap. It grew so large I was chewing on it! And pain deep into jaw and neck... Cancer pain returned.

What a mess.... Now, my tongue flap is permanently sutured down, Flat, to my bottom lip. It Cannot be released because of the 2 large holes cut from it to remove tumor. Floor of mouth was literally gutted out, entire front. Bone exposed, ...tongue flap covers a lot.
My CT showed the tumor, enhancing in my front flap & in floor of mouth.

My Radiation Oncologist, who is one of my favorite guys !!-- Has put the new diagnosis on me, that of Field cancerization...
I can't even get a clear NED out of him, partly because of the field cancerization... But also because the front margin of this new invasive tumor was ... 1 millimeter. ( Minimum tumor free distance, 1 millimeter, anterior mucosal margin). That's waaay too close !!!
" She is at High Risk for recurrence secondary to (a) Multiple recurrent nature of her cancer (b) Very close surgical margin. "

What's next, I dunno.

Then last week I had my cancer Modified Barium Swallow study, which once again showed the severity of my aspiration problem-- it showed I am Aspirating With Every Swallow., no matter if it's thin liquid, thickened liquids, or pudding ... And now she told me no more pudding consistency of anything, because it went down, sort of, and then it came back up! ( my esophageal stricture blocked it). And of course some went into my trachea. ( in March/ April, I had E. Coli pneumonia, from aspirating my stomach contents)

So, my SLP told me last week as we watched the videos of my swallows-- that I have to decide When to Stop taking in orally, completely. No more liquids, ...go NPO completely.

I'm already 100% dependent on my G tube, but I'm fighting taking this last step and having to give up yet another very basic life functions, that makes us " human"-- drinking by mouth. I had to give up Food in late March 2017. I even remember the last things I ate ( or tried to eat).

Anyway, that's a little bit of me lately ( oh, and I have another case of C. Difficile infection. Refuses to go away).

If anyone else out there familiar with the concept of Field Cancerization, let me know. It's too lengthy for me to write about it tonight. ( and you are thinking " thank goodness! ") LOL

Crystal