Hi Laura,

I hope you are doing better than I am!
My recovery from surgery is being complicated by having E. Coli pneumonia.

My pulmonary doctor had me do a Sputum culture, I turned it in early last week and Friday she told me it has grown out E. Coli.

E. Coli in my lungs? How did that happen?

She said either by aspiration my stomach contents, Or from being on mechanical Ventilator during surgeries.... Or from aspiration during the many other produres, surgeries, scoping I've had in recent minths.

When one gets E. Coli in the airway, it settles in the lower lungs, which is exactly where this pneumonia is for me now.

My pulmonary doctor decided Friday to let the Lab continue to grow out this culture, until tomorrow. She wants to see if it grows anything else in addition to E. Coli.
I usually get Klebsiella pneumoniae, which is a respiratory bacterium.
She is going to switch my antibiotic, tomorrow, because the one I'm on is only 70% effective against E. Coli, and she wants to make sure everything that grows out, is covered....

I don't have a fever now, but still have productive cough....and I'm a little tired.

My sutures have to stay in until end of month when I see my surgeon in post OP appointment. I hope it heals okay, because this was in the irradiated field.

Hope you have great weekend!

Crystal