Hi! Most, if not all, of your symptoms can be explained by a combination of TMJ and allergies (here's my "I'm not a doctor" disclaimer again! LOL). I know that for me, chronic allergies can sometimes flare up into an "almost cold" where you aren't quite sick, but your immune system is still working harder than it usually does, resulting in sore throat, swollen tonsils, etc. I have also had TMJ and that can cause a lot of ear pain because of the muscles pinching nerves, etc. The sore throat could be post nasal drip or an effect of the infection that you might be fighting off. Allergies can cause swollen tonsils too, and because the body is not always perfect, the tonsils don't always react perfectly symmetrically.

So, again, keeping in mind I'm no doctor or any kind of medical professional, just based on what you have reported in these posts, I think you are safe to stop worrying. I think the ENT is right in saying that the Radiologist is going to cover his butt by recommending more testing if there was anything remotely suspicious that he could get sued for missing. You mention his recent status as a doctor as reason to suspect him of being cavalier about his findings, but I would argue that his "new doctor" status could make him MORE cautious. Who wants to start a career by missing a cancer diagnosis when all he has to do is write "recommend follow up testing"? Also, doctors don't have to pay for the tests or go through the procedures, so they have no reason to NOT recommend extra testing. So far, all the doctors have felt that your symptoms are explainable by a combination of TMJ and allergies. I know that I have had similar symptoms with TMJ and allergies as explanations as well, so that is anecdotal evidence to support your doctors' opinions.

Although I have had tonsil cancer, it was unrelated to the other symptoms and much later. Years later. In fact, when the cancer was advanced enough to show symptoms, the cancer symptoms were very minor and barely noticeable. In fact, I didn't even recognize them as symptoms (every other week or so I would swallow something "down the wrong pipe" which I didn't realize was a symptom until a doctor asked about it specifically. I only knew something was wrong because one of my lymph nodes (just one) swelled up overnight. It felt like a dried navy bean under my jaw. It wasn't sore at all. Not even a little. No pain at all when I poked at it. I ignored it assuming it would go away but the next day it was the size of a dried kidney bean. Day after that, an almond. A week later when I was at the ENT's office it was as large as a brazil nut and visible to everyone who looked at me. In other words, the node grew quickly and did not stay small like yours are doing. Not to say that other people don't have different experiences, just some anecdotal stuff to give support to your doctors' opinions.

I think the doctors keep asking about lymphoma because I believe your symptom list is more compatible with lymphoma cancers than with carcinoma (HPV) cancers. I think the HPV ones often sneak up on you without a big list of symptoms like you have. The lymphoma ones are more often from smoking/drinking and more likely to come with the sore throat, etc. that you are describing.

Definitely keep your July appointment. In the meantime though, consider calling the doctor that you liked best and explaining that you just don't feel satisfied that they have fully explained away the possibility of an HPV related cancer. Tell them that you have symptoms that concern you and that you have had HPV in the past and you just need someone to really look into that aspect of things. I know you were just at the doctor's office, but you aren't satisfied with their explanations and you deserve to have peace of mind. That's part of their job. One part is making sure you are okay (and treating you if you aren't) and the other part is making you understand your diagnosis and giving you the confidence that they diagnosed you correctly. Hopefully they will talk to you over the phone, but if not, then make an appointment so that they can really go over everything with you. That's my suggestion. Going over everything with one of the doctors that has seen the CT scan and being very frank and detailed about your concerns and symptoms can help them to understand your concerns and should help you to feel like they have had a chance to fully consider everything from all angles. Once that happens, if they are still telling you not to worry, then you should officially stop worrying. smile

Still keeping my fingers crossed for you, but I am feeling better after reading your posts. It sounds like all your doctors are feeling confident that you do not have tonsil cancer, so I have great hope. Make that call to your favorite doc and make them go over every detail. Then keep us in the loop if you would. I know I don't know you, but I still care (as I'm sure everyone reading your posts does)! smile