I’m heading to the ENT shortly. I’m hoping he will go over my CT scan with me, if not, I’ll ask about getting the report for my records.

As I’ve mentioned before, I’m a data person as I research professionally. I’d like to know what the likelihood of the CT identifying a cancer or suspected cancer is. As many of you know, I was referred for a CT not due to any suspicion but because another ENT wanted to reassure me.

And ordinarily it would but I’ve read accounts of folks on here and elsewhere where a CT missed their cancer, especially smaller cancers originating in the tonsil or base of tongue. If you happen to be reading this and are one of those folks or know of the story of one, I’m curious how the cancer was eventually discovered. Persistent symptoms? Insisting that an US and FNAB be done?

My persisting symptoms despite being told my CT was normal are:

Intermittent ear pain (mild, sometimes a sharp pain out of no where, sometimes a subtle throb)
Feeling of a clogged/itchy ear at times
(All war issues are unilateral on side of neck that I’m concerned about)
Intermittent feeling like there is a lump in my throat
Intermittent clicking when I swallow (clicking on affected side)
Right tonsil larger than left (not huge, but definitely larger)
Intermittent bleeding of tonsil when prodded
Bad breath that isn’t explained by oral hygiene (my dentist claims my gums and teeth are healthy)
Feeling of tightness/fullness in neck on affected side
Popping sensation where enlarged lymph node is when I turn head to opposite side
2 (maybe more) palpable lymph nodes in submandibular area (rubbery/hard, semi moveable, pea sized) bilateral
Tenderness at angle of jaw, possibly swelling in that area as well
Intermittent hoarseness (about 2 weeks), is resolved when I clear my throat
Intermittent sore throat, especially on right side... not so painful I would ever see a doctor for it typically

I’ve been on antibiotics for 7 days with no change to the nodes...

So as you can see, some resolution in symptoms or at least decrease in severity but lymph nodes are not changing and odd sensation in neck is still there. Worse when I wake up but I meditate through out the day. It’s not pain like when I’ve pulled a muscle or slept funny on it, it feels more like a swollen tender feeling.

I want to be reassured and put this out of my mind but also don’t want to be resigning and just accept this as normal because it isn’t my normal. I’m happy to investigate TMJ if some or any of my symptoms can be explained by that but I know the lymph nodes are not a response to that. Should I be pushy for more testing or be confident that a CT scan should be pretty telling?