Got my CT:

“There is mild and relatively symmetric enlargement of the bilateral palatine and lingual tonsils. Allowing for this, the base of tongue is grossly within normal limits.

Several prominent bilateral cervical lymph nodes are seen, measuring up to 9 mm in short axis of the right level 2A station.

Impression:

Mild and relative symmetric prominence of the bilateral palatine and lingual tonsils, presumably reflecting chronic tonsillitis hypertrophy.

Multiple prominent bilateral cervical lymph nodes are not pathologically enlarged by CT size criteria, and are presumably reactive. Recommend continued attention on follow-up.”

The ENT didn’t scope me today but did a visual and tactile exam of the tonsils. Said the right indeed seems enlarged but explained that the CT is showing they are both enlarged and that it’s sort of an “ice berg” effect - there’s more on the left than what we are seeing. He also said that the CT would have picked up on any masses within the tonsil. My ears are clear. He said the ear pain could be secondary to TMJ dysfunction. He also noticed some really tight neck musculature and checked the report before telling me that it was just muscle. He seemed really confident that the CT would pick up on anything concerning (I asked about biopsy or imaging of the lymph nodes and he said they would recommend that if they thought that should be done.)

Told me to watch for other symptoms of Lymphoma, put this on the back burner for now and come back in 3 months for a check of the lymph nodes.

I have a follow-up with the ENT who ordered the scan on 7/15 so if there is a change, I’ll at least be seeing her then. Should I put this to rest for now or should I seek a second opinion outside of this practice? For reference, this is a practice affiliated with a highly regarded institute. Both the ENTs I’ve seen are professors at Harvard. But neither have brought up risk factors for an HPV related oral cancer. The ENT today said “it is lymphoma we’re worried about here, right?”