First time for this, so bear with me. My father was diagnosed with squamous cell cancer of tonsil and also extended to his tongue. Was experiencing trouble eating, which caused the doctor's visit initially. Due to the size and position of tumor, surgery was not an option. July of 2003, feeding tube was inserted and also a port was put in to help with chemo. Had 37 radiation treatments with lo dose chemo at same time. Finished radiation Nov 2003. Heavy chemo began shortly after. Finished chemo in Jan of 2004. Still cannot eat or swallow anything by mouth (it's been over 6 months already). Experiences dry mouth quite often. Constantly tries to cough up phlem (?), not sure what it is. Can't seem to get it out. Fighting depression. Complains of earache and pain in jaw quite often. Oncologist has him on diludid and hydrocodone for pain. Doesn't seem to be enough. Trys to eat a little. He thinks it goes down, but he will cough, and whatever he has eaten, returns. Just found this website today, hoping someone has been thru this, and can tell me its normal. We still have to do post treatment PET scan. Seeing Oncologist tonite- hopefully things will get better.

Thanks,
Vickie M