Diana-
I'm sorry to hear that your father is having the same problems my husband is having...I KNOW it is very very frustrating. My husband did try the mashed potatoes at Thanksgiving just as your father did. He was only able to get down 2 spoonfuls and then it hurt too much. Yes, he stopped trying anything after that and even water was stinging. We had him drinking water that contains fluoride to help his teeth, but yesterday we discovered that it doesn't sting if he drinks water w/out fuoride, we never thought about that.

Occassionaly my husband's speech is slurred, but it seems only after he has been talking for a little while. He does get frustated when I have to ask him to repeat himself because I didn't understand what he was saying. Fortunately for us this is not very often.

I'm sorry to hear that the Nystatin/Diflucan didn't work for your father. We are going to try them and see if it helps my husband. We are also going to the dentist (specializes in treating cancer patients) today and are hoping maybe he has some suggestions, as the Oncologists and ENTs don't seem to know what to do. I'll let you know if he recommends something, maybe it can help your father too.

Keep your head up. Lorie

Lorie/wife of Don, DX:8-7-03, Tonsil cancer left side stage III, IMRT x 35, 6 chemo (Cisplatin/Taxol), clear CT Scan 12-26-2003. Mets to both lungs & AML 11-6-05, mets to brain Jan 2006, mets to liver & bones April 2006, passed away July 20, 2006.