I never did go to my graduation party, never will lol, since I don't like celebrations for myself, but I am going to my friend's next week, who I met during our treatments. His is prostrate cancer, and had to go through 44 treatments, ouch! They have to drink at least 16 ounces of water, if not more, right before rads, and some other maneuvers. I guess sometimes we are happy with our own treatments, side effects, then someone else's, and he felt the same for me lol.

Anyway, I mentioned them giving the ProCure Challenge Coin, instead of ringing the bell. On the last day they play the theme to Rocky, "Gonna Fly Now" to strut your stuff, and then present you with your graduation certificate, Challenge Coin, but take it back if you're gong to the graduation luncheon. Here is the history of the challenge coin since many are unfamiliar with it, including myself, as presented to us, which I now carry in my pocket.

"The history of the Challenge Coin dates back to World War I when American Volunteers filled up the newly formed flying squadrons. Some of these volunteers came from wealthy families, mostly students from Ivy League schools. In one of the squadrons, a wealthy lieutenant ordered emblems I solid bronze and conferred them to his own unit. One of the pilots placed the medallion in a tiny leather pouch and wore it around his neck.

Just a couple of hours after the medallions were conferred; ground fire seriously damaged the aircraft of the pilot. He was compelled to set down just behind enemy lines and was captured by one of the German pilots. Placed in a prisoner-of-war camps, all of his personal belongings and identified were taken. He was left only a small pouch that was hanging around his neck. Shortly he was transferred to an occupied French town a few kilometers away from the front line. Taking advantage of the situation, he managed escape, without his personal effects and identification.

He succeeded to escape the Germans by disquieting himself in civilian clothing at the front line. Although it was easy for him to elude the patrols, the difficulty was in crossing the no-man's island, but he eventually succeeded. He then made his way to a French outpost.

Unfortunately during that time. German Soldiers dressed in civilian clothes had been sabotaging the French sector. The French soldiers, believing the American to be one of these German soldiers, prepared to execute him. The only thing that he had was the pouch that contained the medallion.

He showed the medallion to them and one of the French captors recognized the insignia. After long deliberation, they released him. Soon the pilot was back with his squadron and the medallion became a tradition. It was then that the members of the squadron carried the medallion with them anywhere they went, thus giving birth to the Challenge Coins.

When it came time for the leaders at ProCure to think about something we might give patients at the completion of treatment, the decision was made to give a Challenge Coin. There is no great story behind why we chose this. Our patients are living the great story. The coin represents our unity and passion--both patients and ProCure team members.

As you accept this coin, as you take hold of it and keep it with you daily, may it be a reminder. It is a challenge to ourselves and those we serve: the patient, the family, and each other. May the words written on the coin act as a reminder of the unique journey which brought you to this moment: for it is your inspiration, your strength, your spirit and your dignity which encourage hope to blossom when it is shared."

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI
12/13 25 Protons 50Gy 6 Wks Carbo