I have 4 proton treatments under my belt already, and the weekend off! It was an odd week, going in on Sunday, Monday, and then off Chistmas Eve and Day, which was the good part, and cooked up a storm, which made me tired for chemo by Thursday, but that went well without incident. I think the decadron, a corticosteroid given, kept me up the whole night, but I enjoyed watching on AMC the Godfather movies for the holidays, bringing back old memories.

I'm pretty much in and out of radiation in 40 minutes. The set-up time with the 'snout', positioning, repositioning takes the longest, and Proton Treatment can hardly be heard, but there is a slight sound in the distant like a radiator pinging or submarine sonar, and it's over before you know it, but they do two locations on me, change my position, brass snouts, I guess made for my tumors. I'm not receiving the large Gantry Proton machine, but a smaller "Incline Beam" machine, which may be proprietary, but uses the same protons. They are 4 treatment rooms, Gantry, incline beam, fixed beam, and other is incline or fixed beam, and protons can only go to one machine at a time, being it all comes from the same sub atomic machinery, which is probably the whole length of this very large facility, which is very upscale compared to other places I've been.

Using the same Aquaphor, Cetaphil on my neck, and they gave a sample of Medline Remedy, with olivamine, skin repair cream.

My hours were odd, at first, 7:30, 6:30 and 5:30pm, but on Tuesday, New Year's Eve, I'm moving to 9:30AM, due to request of the person driving me to New Jersey, and then off NYD. NYE I hope to have lobster, lots of butter, other fine food, and Prime Rib NYD.

This Monday I'll have my heart checked, really lol, with an echocardiogram. The abscess, tooth infections seems to be held at bay with the antibiotics.

Last edited by PaulB; 12-28-2013 08:52 AM.

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI
12/13 25 Protons 50Gy 6 Wks Carbo