I'm not saying low protein or high protein, but adequate for the persons situation, and calculations, which could be low or normal protein intake, like when already having chronic kidney disease or high intake during illness, healing, exercise. Some may take a suggestion to eat high protein to be sky's the limit, the same with nutition, when excess feeds cancer, so they say, but at the same time, some may need to gain weight on a doctors advise, and just mentioning the other side of the coin, and to look into your needs. Treatment can also compromise kidney function (creatine, GFR) temporarily, and sometimes permanently, and excessive intake of protein can cause other problems with that, breakdown, dehydration, which is already common with Tx. One of the symptoms of protein toxicity, is nausea and vomiting, and ammonia smell. I may have had protein toxicity, i belived so back in '88, from heavy intake of proteins causing an ammonia smell, and ever since, I tried not to take in as much protein. Funny Ed mentioned the pancreas, and years later I developed diabetes, which I thought was related to high protein, exercise, but anyway, diabetes can be related to the pancreas, and now have chronic stage 4 chronic kidney disease from chemo, probably diabetes didn't help. Once the kidneys are damaged, the kidneys usually don't repair itself. unless it's from acute kidney failure, but it's compromise deteriorates your health, and survival.

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI
12/13 25 Protons 50Gy 6 Wks Carbo