Hi All...

Xantippi here and I totally agree with the responses that say try to get as much weight ON as y0u possibly can right now.

Also let me say congratulations for coming this far. Glad you are able to eat... right now.

I too did great right after surgery... pretty radical surgery too, my doctors were very impressed with my recovery. Then I had radiation therapy.... and OMG... I was totally not ready for such extreme reactions to the radiation.

I had lost weight after the surgery but then I lost lots of weight as a result of the radiation therapy.

Everyone is different, to be sure. And no one can tell you exactly how you will react to the radiation, but for right now... do not worry about what you eat as much as just EAT. Put some weight on... and once you get to where I am now... many months past radiation and then I had another type of cancer in my lung found in the middle of my radiation treatments... again OMG! (right?)... but all done with all of it now.

And NOW I do have to watch what I eat... I pick my foods carefully, I eat a lot of broiled salmon and lots of greens. I juice carrots every day... brown rice, once one of my all time fav foods is one of the only foods I can no longer swallow. Swallowing rice is like trying to swallow sticky pebbles... no lie. They just don't want to go down and when I force them down with water... I cough and cough... and they almost hurt to swallow. so no rice but I do eat whole grain breads with lots of nuts and grains. I eat ground flax seed on my oatmeal every morning... about a table spoon full.

So again... don't worry too much right now about what you eat. Just eat as much as you can now... and good luck to you for your struggle from this point forward.

My thoughts will be with you.

Xantippi... 64 year old Resident Manager for small apartment community in SF East Bay area, Northern CA

03/2013 Adenoid cystic carcinoma (partial throat, salivary glands and tongue removed and rebuilt)

10/2013 Large cell carcinoma found in top chamber of right lung successfully surgically removed

01/2014 Cancer Free...Doing well, able to eat enough to begin gaining back the 70 #'s lost in less than 8 mo