For an in depth discussion, seek out a nutritionist at your treatment center. You should have one available to you. Ask about after rads nutrition. A healthy balanced diet is the best you can take in but now is the wrong time for this. During treatments you need to push yourself to get those calories in. Its not the right time to get overly concerned about what you take in to achieve those calories. Meat contains protein which helps healing so avoiding meat would not be a good decision.

If you are pushing to get 2500 calories daily, push a little harder. Its even ok to take in 3500 or 4000 calories daily. Your body is fighting the treatments plus cancer and is burning calories at an incredible rate. Its almost like athletes in training.... they can do 7000 calories daily.

Radiation will get progressively harder as time goes on making your daily intake target harder to reach. This is why you must get into the habit early to make it easier to hit as time goes on as you will be used to it. I cant stress how important your calories and water intake are during and for the 1st year after rads ends. It will be the deciding factor in how well you do. Now isnt the time to worry about what is making up the calories, that is secondary to hitting your daily intake goals. Bulk up, you will need the extra pounds.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma