hi Mamacita. Okay - everyone here knows my views on diet. But I will share them again. I must admit I am biased I am a vegetarian/vegan and have been for years. I do credit it with keeping the cancer I had in check as I'd had a problem with my tongue for several years before it was finally diagnosed as cancer. It could very well have been displasia and then changed later - however, the tumor in my tongue had been there for some time. I know this. Anyway.

I agree you should get all the calories you can while recovering. Particularly if you are having issues eating and maintaining weight. Where I veer from the average advice giver, is in the type of calories. Everyone here says eat as much fatty food as you can. I disagree... While fat calories are necessary, and while they do help you gain weight, they are not the best way to get calories. They are empty.. and can clog arteries and have a long term effect on your health. Kinda like sugar calories. Ideally, get your calories from proteins, and complex carbs with the right amount of good fats.

I mean would you tell a sick person to eat at Mc Donalds and In and Out burger daily? NO!!! What you need are good calories. Flax oils, olive oils, not fried, maybe in a salad or added to other fluids (boullions, water) if you are sauteing.

I am not saying avoid meat. I am not going to push my beliefs on anyone. Personally I've read enough to support my health choices.
However if you do quit make sure you replace it with an alternative protein.

I put 2 tbsp of flax ( I grind it myself ) in with Almond milk (an awesome alternative to milk - and you can make it yourself from raw fresh almonds or buy it... preferably unsweetened) - I avoid soy if at all possible. And I add a plant based protein powder. Christine's shake is great and has calories galore. You can still make it just maybe modify the ingredients to be less dairy based if you want.

Try fresh legumes, and green leafy veggies (in soups - lentils, chick peas, beans, spinach, kale etc. ) Quinoa, chia, rice are also good sources of protein. if you don't like the texture toss it into a blender and make a smooth soup. You don't have to replace all meat and dairy at first maybe minimize it to see how you feel. There are a lot of alternatives out there to butter, and cheese, and you can even make your own cashew and almond cheeses.

Most importantly avoid processed foods. Basically eat healthfully, It doesn't have to be fatty. Just full of calories. hugs. Fat calories are fast and easy but easy isn't always the best way to do things. hugs.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan