Over the past few weeks I have had a few sore places in my mouth from having my teeth removed. These spots had to be snipped a couple times by my oral surgeon. They never healed which made me concerned enough to have my ENT check this out. I was put on antibiotics and offered a biopsy. Immediately I knew that they must have seen something that was unusual. Of course I had the biopsy done and the results are SCC. I was shocked, just like last time. I do not feel one bit sick other than the sore mouth and a little tired.

The PET results show cancer on my top jaw but not on the bottom jawline where the biopsy was done. That isnt even large enough to light up. The good news is that this is Stage 1. This is the third time I have been diagnosed with having cancer in 3 years. Luckily, everytime it has been Stage 1.

At this point my ENT said he wants to get a plastic surgeon on board before he can even begin to set up a plan. He wants me to be ready by mid August. It will be about 2 weeks in the hospital and minimum 6 months of recovery. This can change as there are so many variables as to the extend of the cancer when he begins the operation.

I refuse to sit around and feel sorry for myself for one minute! Cancer has taken 3 summers away from me. From here on out, I am making the most of the next few weeks before this new chapter in my life begins.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma