An update about the plastic surgeon consult, and more....

He was very detail oriented which I like. Told me my operation was a big one, which I knew. It would be 6-8 hours for his part of it, my ENT is also another 6-8 hrs. Some of their time will overlap as will the PEG and trach placement.

He will take skin not from my stomach area, but from my inner arm. Its going to be like the picture Charm posted on the review site. There is a high probability that this will not take and he will need to redo it within 24 hrs. He will be working with thread the size of a hair connecting blood vessels under a microscope.

Swelling will last for 3-4 months. He said it should heal in about 8 weeks. I will come home from the hospital about 10 days after the operation with my accessories. The trach and PEG will be around for a while.

How I hate that PEG tube, only people who have used one know the discomfort and the amount of energy it takes to use one. Everything in your day revolves around the darn tube. Its a very unwelcome accessory.

Tomorrow is my consult with the gastro doc and the pre admission testing. It will be a long day, a million questions, bloodwork, chest xray, anistesia guy. He will run around and get his supervisor to look at me since I have trsimus and say that they cant do my operation. Same story everytime by those guys.

There still are a million questions I need to ask. I keep forgetting to ask if I will need HBO again to heal. Cant wait to find out how in the world Im going to take a shower with a huge hunk out of my jaw area. I dont even want to hear the word bedpan while Im in the hospital. I have more willpower than any nurse out there, I will use the bathroom and be clean. Even if I cant talk, they will get the message smile

How I want to fast forward this event and be on the recovery side. Im not good at bouncing back and Im scared when I think too much about this. Ive become very clinical, I can discuss medical terms and all that goes along with this objectively. When I think about this being done to me thats when I get scared. Just knowing I will have no control over anything in my life for at least a week scares me to death. That I must rely on others for everything and cant speak up just kills me. I am not brave at all, Im terrifyed. I remove myself from the picture to be able to deal with this. I cant even say Ive been thru worse, thats what always got me thru everything else.

This is my last Monday as I know it, time to make the most of it. Im going to do some positive things today. Make some financial arrangments and try to eat everything I can possible eat. Ive lost 6 pounds and need to be on a weight gain regime. Back to my chocolate peanutbutter shakes with carnation instant breakfast powder, had one last night.

Hope everone out there makes the most of the hand they are dealt and has a great day!!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma