When my husband finished with his 35 sessions of radiation, his epiglottis was swollen even att the 12th week mark. We were told that if he had forced down a box of Ensure, he would have drowned. In fact, what happened was that whatever he tried to get down (in teaspoonfuls) would come back up after a couple of days. The RO prescribed gabapantin which helped a bit with the swelling. The most important thing, I would say, is patience and wait for the swelling to subside.

For the thick mucous, you can use a waterpik with warm water, a bit of magic mouthwash, the tongue scraper supplied, and put it on the lowest setting. It gets rid of the thick mucous quite effectively and makes your mouth feel fresh. It's a technique I picked up from this forum way back.

Hang in there, you will get through it. It can be frustrating at times but the discomfort does end.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.