Good day all!

I apologize, I know I have been silent for a very long while. To be honest, I have had some bad luck and decided the best way to deal with it was to just armor up. Simply put, my last trial was another bust, which, in and of itself, is not a major problem -- these immunotherapy trials are very hit and miss. We immediately started looking at another, better immunotherapy trial. During that screening, however, they discovered another new problem. The cancer had spread to my brain, or at least to the membrane between the lobes of my brain.

This is not as hopeless as it seems, as the cancer does not appear to have penetrated the brain-blood barrier, but it definitely took a lot out of me. The solution was to administer localized radiation to shrink the tumor such that I can get on the immunotherapy trial we hope to start tomorrow. Meanwhile they also applied radiation to the worst of my lung tumors to reduce some of the cough I have been suffering from since late summer.

The cancer has also spread to my bones, at least my skull and possibly elsewhere, and I pretty badly pulled some back muscles from coughing which has made moving around difficult. All of this really just means I've had a pretty poor couple of months.

Tomorrow we start our new trial and I am, despite everything, still hopeful. My poor, long suffering wife has had to sit through all of this and I have been nothing but a lousy patient through this process -- I'm down, self-pitying and generally lacking in energy. It would appear that this is my right, but I am remembering now that my attitude affects both of us and I don't want her to have to walk such a sad path, so I am recommitting to getting my courage, energy and strength back for another round with this thing.

For what it's worth, never, ever give up. I certainly don't intend to myself although I can say it is difficult sometimes to keep a good attitude in the face of adversity.

I will try and update you guys regarding this trial. Of all the trials, my team are most excited about this one -- it is a dual immunotherapy that has proven to be quite effective in other cancers and is really very exciting stuff. The side effects appear tolerable and I will try to report them accurately.

I hope everyone else is well. We will keep fighting, all of us, because it is what we must do!

Thank you all as always for your kind wishes and thoughts!!

The Hellion

SCC Base of Tongue
Diagnosed 3/5/2014 T2N2C
PEG Installed 3/19/2014
Chemo/Rad 3/27/2014
1x Cisplatin, 4+ TaxoCarboplat + 33 * 70 gy
Chemo FINISHED 5/5/2014
Rads FINISHED
PEG tube removed 10/08/14
Back to work 4 Aug full time
1/19/15 - diagnosed mets to lungs
7/17/15 began Pembrolizumab clinical trial demitted October 2015