The fork in the road you stand is where I have been too. My "spots" on the lungs were there in the initial scans and could not be ruled out as distant mets. Since it was proven to be so, I got a M0 and trotted along the curative path.

I went round and round with pulmonologists to try to figure out the "spot" but never was able to diagnose it.

After treatment, the scans showed it remained there; so, the logic went if it was cancer it would have changed (i.e. gone away or reduced) and since it did not change it was not likely cancer and likely an infection or scar.

The next full scan about a year out showed it disappeared so it was some infection.

During that first time interval between it being shown and not knowing for certain was quite unsettling to say the least. For me it was the most difficult thought I had to manage as it was the one I could not assign any rationale.

When he second scan after treatment showed it remained, I had some solid ground to get out of the limbo land.

As we always say, it's not cancer until proven and that certainly is the case with the spot on the lung.

Don
Male, 57 - Great health except C
Dec '12
DX: BOT SCC T2N2bMx, Stage 4a, HPV+, multiple nodes
1 tooth out
Jan '13
2nd tooth out
Tumor Board -induction TPF (3 cycles), seq CRT
4-6/2013
CRT 70gr 2x35, weekly carbo150
ended 5/29,6/4
All the details, join at http://beatdown.cognacom.com