Oncologists likely look at numbers and statistics because they know that some people don't make it and some do and they don't always know why. I know that my husband defied statistics. His MO shared with him recently that she really thought he might not make it given the size of his tumor. I agree with Christine about statistics and I agree with many others who have talked about ways to cope with uncertainty and waiting and trying to live in the moments that we have right in front of us. I know how difficult this is, and was, for me and I hope that you can find a way to do this. But it does suck and I know I vacillated between hope and despair. I'm so glad you have a place to go where people understand what you are going through.

Sophie T.

CG to husband: SCC Stage 4, T4, N1, M0; non-smoker and very light social drinker; HPV+
induction chemo begun 7/07; chemo/radiation ended 10/10, first cat scan clear; scan on 5/9/08 clear, scan on 10/08 clear; scan 1/09 clear; scan 1/10 clear; passed away July 2, 2016