Suzy, welcome to OCF. Im so glad you have so many responses to your questions. Im sorry I didnt see your post til now. I always try to make the new members feel welcome. Its important for us to look out for each other. Ive made many friends over the past 3 years on OCF. While the majority of us do not have medical backgrounds, we do know quite a bit just by being patients and caregivers. Im glad you found OCF to help you with your recovery.

I noticed a few things you mentioned in your post. First was the fact that you very recently finished with radiation and then had the neck dissection last month. After undergoing radiation the healing process takes much longer. You mentioned suffering from another problem which further comlicates your ability to heal. I had a long surgery last year and it took me 10 months before a tiny hole would close. This hole was located next to the area that was radiated. I have experienced things taking up to 10 times the normal rate of healing in this area. My docs always are telling me to be patient and that it takes a full year before things will heal. Unfortuantely it can take up to 2 years to recover from radiation. It continues to work long after you have stopped having treatments.

As far as the eating and swallowing goes, I would consult with a speech therapist. They can do a swallowing test and help to figure out what has happened to make it get worse. I suspect it may be due to swelling from the neck dissection. This is a very uneducated guess. Im thinking you are probably still swollen from having radiation and the neck dissection further irritated this and caused more swelling. My docs tell me swelling can take 6 months or more to fully subside.

Have patience, its going to be 2 steps forward and 1 step backwards for a while longer. But soon, you will start having more good days than bad. I wish you the very best in your recovery.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma