Suzy,
So many great ideas from the previous posters should help. I had esophogeal dilations for swallowing and dry mouth from medications before I had OC and learned a few things which have helped me since. I have had no radiation or chemo only surgery for mandilbe removal and later for reconstruction and a 4 weeks ago TOR(robotic surgery) for removal of a begnign growth at the base of my tongue. Through all this I have learned some things which may help you. Try to avoid dry crumbly food. Meats, rice and other grains and even sometimes bread are more easy to swallow if they are moist. Try to take smaller biites of food than you used to and chew carefully. If liquids give problems try a thicker version such as a hearty soup rather than a thin broth or take a small amount of soup with something more solid in the spoon. Heavy pasta in "shapes" can sometimes be easier to swallow than small noodles which seem to get stuck. Experiment with different textures and consistencies of foods and liquids.
Healing is a funny process. There are ups and downs but generally things do improve. Our bodies can get used to much and we learn to adapt sometimes without realizing then one day we realize that we have gotten better in some way.
Pain after any injury does diminish. Any tissue or muscle takes time to heal. Your throat is raw now. Two weeks ago my voice was hoarse and I had some of the same problems you speak of. Today I can tell you that I feel better than I did a week ago.

Please PM me if you would like to chat more.

SCC stage II Partial mandibulectomy w. neck dissection- July 2005. Renal cancer w. partial nephrectomy-Jan 2004. Breast cancer discovered in routine mammogram. Successful lumpectomy, sentinal nodes clear, RT only-2008 Reconstruction of mandible w fibula free flap-Jan 09. TORS removal of begnin pappiloma from esophagus-2010. Masectomy,rt breast 2013.
Support OCF