Hi Suzy,

I had the some f the same issues during the healing process. I am 7 years out and still have discomfort in my neck, muscle spasms/cramps that still wake me up at night, what can only be desribed as a ledge in my throat where food gets stuck if I dont use liquids to wash it down, shoulder pain, and little saliva when I talk too much. Like you moist foods are easier to swallow.

You will get used to it. It is frustrating but it does get easier. I always say, "It's a 1000 times better than the alternative!"

I have found that Botox works extremely well in calming everything down. I go every three months for the injections which take about 5 min and for the next three months I am hard pressed to even remember I had cancer with the exception of the saliva and the swallowing. Anyway, you will also get better at coping. Right now you are not used to the "new" you. It will eventually become second nature and you will learn to live with it like all of us.

Great job on making it through! If you need anything please let me know

Regards,
-rh
Robert Hamilton

SCC 1.6cm Right Tonsil 10/3/03, 1 Node 3cm, T1N2AM0, Tonsil Removed, Selective Neck Disection, 4 Wks Induction Chemo (Taxol,Cisplatin), 8 Weeks Chemo/Radiation (5FU,Hydroxyurea,Iressa), IMRT x 40, Treatment Complete 2/13/04.
41 Years Old At Diagnosis