So glad you found this forum, Suzy - it's the best place to be for the latest information and compassionate suggestions from people with similar experiences. My son also had the swelling in his neck but he did the massage as suggested in above posts and it went away after a while. And now, almost 4 years later, the scar is barely noticeable. It would be a good idea, as mentioned above to check with the doctor about the swallowing problems. Do let us know what happens and how you are doing. If you would like to list info about your treatment under your signature line (see mine below), just go to the top of this page where it says "my stuff", click on "profile" and scroll all the way to the bottom and you will see a box where you can fill in whatever information you like.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)