Hi Suzy,
I had a modified radical bi-lateral neck disection 10/31/07 and still have some of the same issues, hard to swallow, no saliva etc. I keep working creams into my skin..so it isn't as hard as Charm's may be...but it ain't what it used to be either. And my beard is gone...think ZZTop...and I really miss it. BUT...when I look down I can see the grass, I can still put on a motorcycle helmet and turn my head, I really love soup and when I wake up I get to have coffee. I spoke to by cousin who had thyroid cancer 37 years ago and also had a bi-lateral, and she still has some of the same issues..but we beat it so far and we're here to help each other get through the left overs. Hang in there, do your exercises, smile as much as you can.

Stage 4b BOT and node on right of throat. did 38 trips of TOMO PEG tube,Cysplatin,Taxotere & 5fu 1st 4th and 7th week, changed to Erbitux for the last 4 weeks. 1st PETS since end of TX..CLEAR 6mos out and 2 nodes are hot. Bilateral neck dissection on 10/31/08. Clear Scan 3/31/09 & 8/02/2010