Hi Suzy, I had a neck disection in May 2002 and that area is still hard to move and I had months of physical therapy which seemed to help, but then I had cancer again after 5 years from the first and they had to split my jaw to get to it (soft palate), most recently I had cancer on my tongue again in March and had surgery so honestly I am in constant pain. I take narcotics to help me with it. I am currently waiting on a biopsy done last week on my gyums where teeth had to be pulled last surgery. This cancer just keeps giving me a fit. Sorry to get side tracked, but for the 5 years after my first surgery and neck dissection and radiation, P/T helped and I def still have swelling in my face left side. I saw a speech teacher and someone to help manage the lymphedema during the first 5 years being cancer free, so maybe try a physical therapist, it certainly cannot hurt. I wish you all the best, you can pm me if you want to know more. Take Care.

Diagnosed May 2002 with Stage IV tongue cancer, two lymph nodes positive. Surgery to remove 1/2 tongue, neck dissection, 35 radiation treatments. 11/2007, diagnosed with cancer of soft palate, surgery 12/14/07, jaw split. 3/24/10, cancer on tongue behind flap, need petscan, surgery scheduled 4/16/10
---update passed away 8-27-11---