I hate to admit that "I'm a little off", I never sat quiet in any treatment room. I brought my guitar, sang, invited student Dr's and nurses etc. to come check me out and tried to make as much fun as I could. Every time I went and still wait in the "waiting" room, sometimes for a couple of hours, I always look for the seat beside the scardest looking person in the place.
I walk up to them and introduce myself. Then I ask them if they have a favorite song so I could play it. Wether I know the song or not I play it soo...sooo badly that they have to laugh. Then I play some songs almost perfectly. Usually, it becomes a happy carefree spot.
Basically I take the gas out of the chainsaw...most times it help me and hopefully someone else.
On one occasion, the person I sidled up to basically told me to get lost, so I did. I came back later with the hospital gown on and walked right by him with my ass bare for him to see...yeah I have no pride...grabbed my guitar and walked back to the treatment room. I was playing a few songs while my favorite cocktail was dripping into my veins and he peeked in and asked if he could come in and listen...of course I said, "sure." 2 minutes later we started talking and I think I made him feel better. I saw him a few more times and he always came to listen to me play and talk to me. Unfortunatly he passed away four years ago. Shortly after when I was going for follow-up a woman approached me when I walked in, guitar case in hand. She handed me a card and said Thanks. I had no idea who she was. She was this man's sister, in the card was a note from her saying Thanks for helping my brother cope with his treatment. There was also a sheet of music for the song, "I will survive." The bottom of the sheet had a not that read, "Thanks, the way you played this hurt me more than cancer every did...learn it for me."
I was attempting to ruin that song when I met him to try and make him smile.
Rambling....
Tom, angry...yes I guess I occasionally had that emotion, my guitar was my chainsaw and as long as I played it I guess I thought I wasn't being played.
Don't let this beast play you.

Cheers,

Mike

Dentist since 1995, 12 year Cancer Survivor, Father, Husband, Thankful to so many who supported me on my journey so far, and more than happy to comfort a friend.
Live, Laugh, Love & Learn.