So another update on the saga of what ever the heck is going on with me.

Last post, was dealing with a lot of coughing, hacking up gunk etc., and I mean about every 30 minutes. Started to get some pain in the throat, so tried to take it easy, but this stuff seemed involuntary, and some times this hurt like heck. Tried to see what was going on nothing obvious that I could see. Eventually things changed, and not so painful.

Couple days later I look at the tongue/throat, can see a mass on the right side, just behind the back lower molar, except farther back. UH OH... Had appointment with ENT scheduled for the following Monday, so let it go. Seemed to get bigger, more easily seen. At this point I"m convinced this is a huge tumor, I mean looking the size of a cocktail wiener.

Get to the ENT, tell him what's going on. he takes a look and is like ok, looks like tumor has spread, come back. may need chemo etc. when do I see the oncologist, etc. To be sure lets put a scope on if for a close look and do a biopsy. I'm like ok. So he sprays the heck out of my throat., nose with the numbing agent, goes out of the office for a bit. Comes back in. and he's changed his mind, maybe not cancer, but necrosis of the free flap. Does the scope, says yes,. looks like necrosis of the free flap (basically this mass is black/grey) and go see the surgeon down in L.A. right away, this afternoon. I knew that wasn't going to happen, but told him ok since it seems like all of a sudden his shorts were on fire.

So, see the reconstructive surgeon that did the free flap on Tuesday. For sure there will be more surgery, how much and how extensive remains to be seen. Tongue itself looks great, but it's all getting pushed to one side because of this mass on my right side.

And just to through another kink in the deal, found a bump on my neck more toward the front. Lots of surgery went on there. still a lot of swelling. The whole area has taken on a nice purple hue.

Starting to get a handle on this mucous goo bit, seems just after I do a tube feeding now. Been taking two tylenol at bed time, then one about every 6 hours rest of the day seems to cut any pain and keeps the excess mucous under control. Having a hard time with blender food. stomach not dealing with that too well. Sticking to mostly formula.

And that's the story, one step forward and two steps back. arghh.

SCC Tongue, stage IV diagnosed Sept, 2002, 1st radical neck dissection left side in Sept, followed by RAD/Chemo. Discovered spread to right side nodes March 2003, second radical neck dissection April, followed by more RAD/Chemo.