First follow up visit with the H&N surgeon, this is the one that did the tumour removal, etc. Seemed pretty impressed with the fact my speach is at least somewhat understandable, considering he's classifying this as a 'near total glossectomy." I'm slowly getting the gory details of the surgery, geez, no wonder I've been sore in strange places. Also was impressed that I"m looking pretty good, getting around ok, didn't loose a lot of weight etc. And in general good shape for 3 weeks out of surgery.

He was able to save some of the base of the tongue, a little sliver of the left side, and the back of the tongue. The rest is free flap reconstruction. Healing going well, still a good amount of swelling, but all in all he seems to thing I'm doing very well. Called in a med student and the resident to also have a look and listen.

Have another follow up with the reconstructive surgeon next week (bit of a pain these follow up visits, down in Westwood section of LA, an I ilve up the coast about 120 miles, 3 hours each way with traffic). He'll order the swallow study and get that part going.

One wrinkle in all this, this was definately a new cancer, not a recurrence of the old one. Previousl was well differentiated squamous cell carcinoma, this is poorly differentiated etc. He's suggesting I see a radiaton oncologist to see if there's any possibilites to do radiation, however, since I've already had 2 go arounds he doesn't think it's possible. Doc also said in this case not much proof one way or another that having radiation would be benificial, or not having it would be detrimental.

Will see what comes of that, need to see my local H&N guy that I started with, get referred, etc. I'm inclined to skip the radiation this time around.

Otherwise, all the margins were clear, no spread to lymphatic system, etc.

Still 3 to 6 months out from returning to work I suspect. Did visit the office for a bit, on the way to the docs appointment, had breakfast with some work friends, chatted with my boss a bit, and went to a department "meet and greet" with the new senior VP's of course got to see the rest of the co-workers, etc. Was pretty knackered by the end of that 2 hours visit, for sure can't do a series of whole days. Not that I'm in a big hurry to go back anyway, Plan of the day for the next few weeks is rest, do some walks, some on line courses, etc. And re-learn how to eat. I'll be satisfied if I wind up being able to do soft food, drinks, near term.

And that's the update.

SCC Tongue, stage IV diagnosed Sept, 2002, 1st radical neck dissection left side in Sept, followed by RAD/Chemo. Discovered spread to right side nodes March 2003, second radical neck dissection April, followed by more RAD/Chemo.