I must jump in here...Clark's RO did not recommend the PEG but after researching it, my husband asked for one and got it. My sister, who has been a great help to us throughout Clark's treatment, was employed at the time at NIH as a Nurse Practitioner in lymphoma. She had first hand knowledge and experience dealing with patients with cancer. Her opinion was if you get it before TX begins, you'll have IF you need it. Does not mean you HAVE to use it. If you wait until you NEED it, and you have not completed TX, your TX is stopped for PEG placement. The RO confirmed that the preferred method for delivering RADs is done with no interruption.

We both wanted to get the best we could to beat this disease. My husband is one tough guy, but TX really blindsided him like nothing we could have imagined. He has since has numerous issues and surgeries, and while he eats by mouth, the PEG has been a lifesaver for helping him maintain his weight and overall health.

It is a highly personal decision. All the best as you navigate this next course.

Anita (68)
CG to husband, Clark, 79,
DX SCC 11/07, T4N0Mx, PEG 1/08, RAD, post rad infection 3/08,
HBOT 40 dives, ORN, Surg 11/09 mandibulectomy w/fibular graft.
Plastic Surg 4/10, 12/10, 3/11, 10/11, 4/12, 10/12. All PETS clear,
PEG out 1/11. 6/11 non union jaw fracture
Fractured jaw w/surgery 7/14
Aspiration pneumonia 7/21, 10/22
PEG 7/21
Botox injections