Nate
I am strong advocate of getting the PEG, but where I was treated it wasn't an option.

Think of it as just another weapon in the battle and having it ready means you can use it if and when needed without having to do a retreat. Sick and starving soldiers don't win wars.

Even with a PEG I had trouble the last week keeping anything down and needed a couple IV's to stay hydrated. Dehydration and excessive weight loss are bad. Interruptions in treatment are not good and can lead to poorer outcomes.

The PEG is good to have once the taste buds go and it's hard to eat once the mouth sore come. I found it a lot easier to just dump the stuff down the tube, take a nice walk and not worry about my weight.

Even with a PEG, your CCC team will require you eat and drink a little to keep the throat muscles working. I drank juice and ate a couple pudding cups a day.

Remember it usually takes a couple months before food tastes anywhere near decent again, and you have to maintain your weight during and after treatment to come back fast and strong.

It's great for med too!

Don
TXN2bM0 Stage IVa SCC-Occult Primary
FNA 6/6/08-SCC in node<2cm
PET/CT 6/19/08-SCC in 2nd node<1cm
HiRes CT 6/21/08
Exploratory,Tonsillectomy(benign),Right SND 6/23/08
PEG 7/3/08-11/6/08
35 TomoTherapy 7/16/08-9/04/08 No Chemo
Clear PET/CT 11/15/08, 5/15/09, 5/28/10, 7/8/11