David2,
Gordon is now on the Fentanyl patch - just put the first one on today. They seem to start you on 25 mcg. and tell you to put on a 2nd patch after 24 hrs. if the first one isn't working too well. Apparently he's supposed to keep taking the T3s every 4 hrs. until the Fentanyl kicks in. Then he can continue the T3 three times a day for breakthrough pain as needed. I hope it's going to be enough to get us through the 4 day long week-end.

If you were chugging 12-16 oxys. a day, the patch must not have been nearly enough for you. Wonder why they didn't up the patch dosage - or did they? I guess there is a limit on how much they can give you. How many mcgs. did you end up taking?

G. has always had sort of the opposite of constipation, but I know all about the rubber glove routine, as he ended up in emergency with a severe case of it (constipation, that is) from the drugs after he had a hernia operation about 15 years ago. The poor e-room Dr. had to dig it out with the rubber glove. I don't know who I felt more sorry for, G. or the Dr.

G. has an internal hemorrhoid that's giving him hell, so constipation is the last thing we need. We have 14 rads. and 1 chemo to go...

Doesn't sound like they gave you anything that worked for the constipation, which is awful, really. Talk about adding injury to injury!

Anne - CG to Gordon (59), non-smoker/non-drinker. SCC, BOT, HPV 16+, stage 3. Jan./10 - radical neck dissection to remove 48 lymph nodes, 1 node pos. Apr. 23/10 - finished 35 rad. and 3 cisplatin. Jul. 22/10 - PET scan clear.