Since rads was just finished 9 days ago, its understandable that he would still feel pretty lousy. It will be a couple more weeks (longer if he doesnt increase his intake) before he begins to feel better. The fatigue can hang around for months.

Its his choice if he wants to get better or continue to feel horrible. The first 3 weeks after finishing rads are the worst ones as the radiation is still working. This is where he runs the highest risk of ending up hospitalized for malnutrition and/or dehydration. Im sure his throat is feeling very painful so I give him alot of credit to still be swallowing 6 glasses of anything.

I hate to say it but you might have to be blunt with him so he understands. Its up to him how quickly he recovers, increase his intake and bounce back quicker or continue doing only 3 glasses of ensure and it will be much longer.

Being a caregiver of a difficult patient must be a very frustrating job. You are holding up very well! Much better than I think I could have done.

Best wishes!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy