Please also remember to find time in all this chaos to be kind to yourself. You have the weight of the world on your shoulders. Even if you take 10 minutes every couple days to walk around the block it would help to clear your head.

As far as the kids go... try finding helpers. Anyone who has offered their assistance to you during this difficult time, now is the time to take them up on it. There are a million things they could do to help that would take some of the pressure off you. Cooking dinner for your family, picking up the children once a week, picking up prescriptions for the pharmacy, even walking the dog, a play date or doing a load of laundry is helpful. The children can even get their own responsibilities that would help.

If your husband is already talking about quitting be prepared for a real battle as the end of treatment comes. Unfortunately, treatments get progressively more difficult as time goes on. I wanted to quit too but my son and nurse refused to allow it so I had no choice but to finish mine.

Ask for hydration at the chemo lab to help avoid dehydration from his refusal to drink water. This will catch up with him and he is going to feel awful.

I honestly dont know how you manage with your husband struggling against everything he is supposed to be doing. Its hard enough to get thru this in the best situation, but to avoid everything he should do will only make it 10x harder for him. This will soon take its toll and he will begin to really feel lousy. This is all part of getting rid of the cancer. Its a fight, either he wins or the cancer will. I wish I could somehow help your husband to understand how serious this situation is and how he needs to step up. I know his mental ability prevents his fully understanding everything.

I wish your husband could get a better handle of his tobacco use. By continuing to smoke its causing so much damage to his body. I know how hard it is to quit. I hope he will wake up and decide one day that he is stronger than the tobacco and throw them away for good. Im sure he wants to be around for to watch his children grow up. Smoking while on the patch could be harmful.

Best wishes!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy