Thank you for your ears, compassion, advice and thoughts.

Re smoking he's been given nicabate patches, now he smokes on top of them. No matter how much we tell him that's wrong as he's doubling his intake, he keeps smoking.

Day 4 and he is already struggling to eat anything. He simply refuses to eat since yesterday. I 'forced' him to drink one of Christine's milk shakes per day but that's it.
Due to daily chemo I know he gets a litre of fluids via drip but other than that no other water.
It worries me but there is little I can do to make him eat and drink if he hasn't got the will.

He's developed radiation parotitis, a version of the mumps and has inflamed saliva glands already.

He's already expressed stopping with the treatment as it is getting difficult. On top of that treatment is like a full time job, that means he has to do a lot and take responsibility. He's never had this kind of responsibility, so it adds to his dilemma.

Trying to stay positive. Looking forward to the weekend and hoping to have some me time or spending time with the kids.

The radiologist is still of the opinion that no PEG is required and he should try to go without it.

The kids are struggling a lot as everything revolves around Simon which isn't really new to them. Mental illness has been cruel and they haven't had a father for the last six years.
Tonight I'm off picking my son up as he's got drama productions 3x a week. I must admit it is sooo difficult to find a balance and not to forget the kids. After all their school and uni lives continue and have commitments.

Heike

Working caregiver of my husband (51) Simon

03/2014 oropharyngeal cancer, stage IVB, T2N3M0, HPV 16 +
04/2014 Neck dissection - 39 lymph nodes removed, one node positive greater than 6cm, tumour in tonsil reaching into soft palette
28/04/14 begin of treatment
33 x RADS 66 Gy, 33 x chemo cisplatin 13mg each
29/04/14. pick two lines
12/06/14 finished treatment
09/ 14 Pet scan clear