Amazingly our best friends became non existent too. I was actually having a Bible study at our house with 2 wonderful women. We had been meeting for almost a year every other week. When Kevin began the process they just disappeared. No phone calls, emails, nothing. I think that hurt the most because during the year they had had some things happening that I always checked in on them about between our meetings. To this day we have not spoken. I think they are embarrassed and I think they should be so I just let it go. That's probably not the best thing to do I guess, but it's a process to get through. Most of our friends did the same thing, but we weren't that close to too many people as we had just moved here 3 years before and this is a very hard town to make friends in.
Ironically people we didn't know came out of the woodwork. Neighbors we barely knew brought meals. Families from the elementary school brought meals. People we didn't know showed up on our door step with food and sometimes money at just the right time when I was trying to figure out how I was going to pay on something. I loved how God provided, but looking back now we can clearly see He took care of us the whole time through the work of Angels here on earth.
I pray that some of your friends would get it together. Sometimes ya' just want to smack somebody!!
Have fun skyping your family. Wish you were closer...we would be there for you!!!
Kathy

Kathy wife/caregiver to:
Kevin age:53
Dx 7/15/11
HPV16+ SCC Stage IV BOT/R
Non smoker, casual drinker
7/27/11 Cistplatin, taxotere,5FU 2/3week sessions, followed by IMRT 125cgy x 60 (2x daily) w/Erbitux weekly. Last rad 10/26/11. Last Erbitux 10/27/11
PEG placed 9/1/11 Removed 11/8/11
Clear PET 10/12 and 10/13 and ct in 6/14