Im sorry to hear you feel like your friends have abandoned you. This is very common. Too often the ones who are the closest to the patient dont know how to handle the situation and begin to distance themselves. This can be very hurtful to the patient. Sometimes strangers will become a patients closest allies during treatment and recovery as former friends fade away. When you are recovered the missing friends will slowly crawl back into your life.

As far as Thanksgiving goes, do something for YOU. Think of what you like to do. Take yourself to the movies. Usually they arent too crowded on holidays. There is always shopping if you feel up to it. Many stores are open on Thanksgiving. Just be careful in crowds, your immune system isnt fully functioning so you can pick up colds easier right now. For now thru at least the next year, make a habit of frequently washing your hands and using hand sanitizer. Avoid sick people and crowds. At least its now cold so wearing gloves doesnt look so unusual.

My doc told me that I shouldnt even go to the grocery store. He explained if someone at the other end of the aisle could sneeze and make me sick. Not sure if he was joking or serious but I laughed at his warning.

You know we will always be here to support you no matter what day it is. If its not too personal, where are you originally from?

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma