[quote]People know what they should do but tend not to anyway.[/quote]Boy, you are the tough one. In fact, some truth in there adds to the sting.

Like many humans who choose to go the doctor later than earlier, I had an similar infection, started out rather minimal, then over several days grew to a larger red, sensitive, pretty puffy sore, I do not think it had open sores at that time. Pretty uncomfortable, and like you, my wife was getting all over me to go get it looked at.

When, after a few days of extra prodding and swift kicks in the ass, our family MD saw she, she just BARKED at me, and basically told me I was a fool and thee infection I had was a grain of sand distance from being full on systemic infection, I think she called it staph. Pretty simple sounding but I guess actually life threatening.

After than I am learning that not going to the doctor when obvious, is not a sign of being a tuff guy but a stupid guy.

So what do I do -- wait longer than I should have to be seen for the growth in my neck. hummm... at least I was lucky and was told the wait probably was not a factor in any pending death sentence.

Maybe I have learned my lesson. Hope I live long enough to claw back some benefits from life lesson slow in coming.
don

Don
Male, 57 - Great health except C
Dec '12
DX: BOT SCC T2N2bMx, Stage 4a, HPV+, multiple nodes
1 tooth out
Jan '13
2nd tooth out
Tumor Board -induction TPF (3 cycles), seq CRT
4-6/2013
CRT 70gr 2x35, weekly carbo150
ended 5/29,6/4