Liza, I had extensive surgery to remove nearly half my tongue and to remove "lots"(my surgeon's words)of lymph nodes. My cancer was stage IV. I had 7 weeks of radiation with three chemo sessions spread out during the radiation. I had to be hospitalized again after the radiation and chemo because my blood count was too low (transfusion)and I wasn't getting enough nutrition. That was August of 2009. I have been back to work full time now for well over a year and the last time I saw my chemo doc I heard him tell his nurse, "she looks like a million bucks!" You will get through this. I know it is hard to be positive, but you will find your "new normal." Rely on the wonderful people here. They will give the best support in the world. Good luck to you and God Bless!

Female, nonsmoker, 70, diag. 5/09 after tongue biopsy: stage IV. Left hemi-gloss. and left selec. neck disec. 30 lymph nodes removed May 20. Over 7 weeks daily rads. with three chemo. PEG removed 12/4/09 Am eating mostly soft foods. Back to work 11/09 Retired 4/1/11. 7 clear scans! Port out 9/11. 2/13. It's back: base of tongue, very invasive
surgery involving lifestyle changes. 2/14: Now speaking w/Passey-Muir valve. Considering a swallow study. Grateful to be alive.