Hello everyone and nice to see so many familiar names around smile

I have not been on the forum or involved in OC related relations much lately for personal reasons. Those reasons are because at this time I'm helping myself heal mentally even though I'm coming up on 2 years post tx. It was not expected but after a 2nd OC scare early 2010 I had to create a distance, step back and go after those many things I enjoyed in life before any of this happened. As patients and as caregivers everyone here has been around the block more then once--we know what this disease is all about and what it can do...the pain that it causes. Many things in life can and does cause pain--it doesn't have to be cancer. On the flip side, so much more gives us enjoyment..that smile, a laugh...that inner peace. Life can be good...let life be good! And when it's hard for yourself, a friend or a loved one, take life one step at a time and be there when a hand, a hug or a tear is needed. Sometimes kind, thoughtful words can be said, sometimes there are no words to be found but instead a look of helplessness with tears from both sides of the fence that spells out, "It's okay, I love you..." I've been the caregiver and I have been the patient and none of it is easy. I'm not going to lie, I don't want to be the caregiver and I don't want to be the patient. Call me selfish but sometimes it all hurts too much but if you truly need me I will be there in your corner. That to me is basically what we are all about..the people on this board...If we are truly needed, at any given time someone is here to lend a hand, a kind word...advice...a smile...a tear. I go through life not knowing my boundaries and say a lot of the wrong things at the wrong time but the one thing that I know I do not lack is empathy. Every individual has their point of view of what's right or wrong...how one person should act or not. We are all adults that have lived, we all know what we read is not necessarily true...But if it is...SO WHAT! Who am I?...Who are you? To think that we know what's better for that family, that patient, that caregiver to say, act or do what we think they should be doing. We are not hear to criticize anyone...We are here to help--to listen, lend that kind word...that great piece of advice...to tell the truth....The good and the bad. For those who criticize MD...his family or any other person afflicted with OC...That's not what we are about...We're better then that...We're about helping out in some form or another. I love you guys but save the bashing for those occasional snakeoil salesmen that sometimes roll through here...If I offended anyone..Eh? Get over it. Let life be good and when it's not lend a helping hand and a caring heart.

Last edited by Ray1971; 09-08-2010 09:10 PM.

7-16-08 age 37@Dx, T3N0M0 SCC 4.778cm tumor, left side of oral tongue, non smoker, casual drinker, I am the 4th in my family to have H&N cancer
8-13-08 left neck dissection and 40% of tongue removed, submandibular salivary gland & 14 nodes clean, no chemo, IMRTx35
11-4-08 Recovering & feeling better