My boyfriend of almost 3 years never left my side, he actually cried when I asked him to go home the day after my surgery because I just felt so awful.
He has been amazing through this all, and to say you love someone and not be there for them is horrible.
I know how hard it is for them to deal with just by watching my mom brother and boyfriend everytime I had to go back to the hospital. But the worst thing you can do is not be there by their side.
I think that is truly the only thing that got me through all of this was their support and by them going into "cargiver" mode. None of them had any training but they took all the classes and refused to let me go into a rehab facility.
Sadly though, all to often, loved ones don't know what to do, and they try to hide from it in fear that their insecurities will make it harder on the patient.
I will say that Ben (boyfriend) helping me through this and being there for me has strengthened our relationship and we are much closer then we were before. I didn't think it could happen, we have always been so much alike and close, but going through something like this and having someone throw down everything they feel inside just to be there for you is just amazing.
I feel sorry for MD that CZ can't do that for him, but maybe she'll come around, at least I hope she does.

25/female at diagnosis
Dx;stage 3 SCC tongue 03/25/2010
Surgery 04/13/2010
Trach,ng tube, peg feeding tube
Hemiglossectomy, right side neck dissection, 40 lymph nodes removed. Free-Flap transplant to tongue.
30 rounds IMRT ended July 15,2010