As badly as I feel for MD, whom I have always admired as an actor, I could not help but think that the publicity surrounding his diagnosis might give oral cancer a "Rock Hudson" moment, resulting in a much higher profile for a disease that seems to get little public attention even though several famous people, including George Harrison and Bruce Paltrow died from it.
I also went through a period of hoarseness in my throat, and something just not being right, that no doctor or dentist seemed all that concerned about. Nowadays they think that everything is reflux. Although I do not blame my periodontist who unsuccessfully tried to look down my throat at my request or my radiologist buddy, who was also unsuccessful at the same, I do wonder why, when people complain of sore throats, hoarseness, etc., more doctors or ENT's don't just stick that scope down the patient's nose. Once I finally went to the ENT, he ordered a barium swallow and Xray, that allowed my radiologist friend to pretty well diagnose my situation, but the next day when the ENT stuck that scope down my nose for the first time, it was glaringly obvious that I had a large tumor at the base of my tongue. Most of us here have had that scope stuck down our noses many times on routine Dr. visits, and although we don't like it, it is just not that bad, so I wonder why doctors don't use it more liberally. Of course a good ENT with training in oral cancer can often feel deformities in the neck nodes or down in the throat with his hands.

I join you in wishing MD the best. He is 10 years older than I was when I began my oral cancer journey, and we all know what a difficult road it is at any age.

Stage IV Base of Tongue SCC
Diagnosed July 1, 2002, chemo and radiation treatments completed beginning of Sept/02.