Hi Delly. That sounds really awful that they said he might not swallow again. I'd adopt a wait and see approach. People who've had glossectomies tend to be able to swallow over time and with help from speech language therapists. I can imagine how dry his throat and mouth must feel. I felt like that for the first few days after surgery. It was hot, the air conditioning was inadequate and I wasn't allowed to drink. What helped me was when they put more fluid (water) in my food supplement. I can honestly say the thirst and dry mouth went away. When I could finally have some water it was an anti-climax. So maybe he needs more fluid.

I believe you need a lot more support. When he has radiation he'll need it, so push that nursing service to provide him with visits. I live alone and had weekly visits from the Cancer Society nurse until about a week after rads ended.

Please don't feel guilty about eating and drinking. Be as positive as you can with him. Take it one step at a time.

Best wishes.

1996, ovarian cancer surgery + cisplatin and taxol.
September, 2007, SCC of left lateral tongue. Excision.
October, 2009 recurrence in scar tissue, T1NOMO. Free flap surgery from left wrist - neck dissection. 63 year old New Zealander. No chemo, no RT.
February, 2014. New primary in left buccal mucosa. Marginal mandibulectomy, neck dissection, right arm free forearm flap. T1N0M0 but third occurrence and some areas of concern: RT started 8 April and finished 19 May.