Hello Delly, welcome. This is indeed the correct forum and a wonderful site for information and support.
My Husband Kris had his Total Glossectomy 3 years ago. He too had flap formation from his stomach muscle/skin. I remember that he too had plenty of oral secretions post op. actually he went from having a totally dry mouth after his radiation treatments, to this very wet mouth after the surgery. While he was in the hospital and the surgical site was healing we used an oral sucker to remove the secretions.
Kris rinsed his mouth out frequently with a soda bic and salt solution. These days he just uses fizzy soda water, sometimes coke. He rinses and then spits/ let's it all run out. Many times, he needs to physically wipe it all out. As they no longer have a moveable to tongue to wipe and clean out the oral cavity, sometimes it needs wiping.
Kris started swallowing liquids at about the 3 rd week post op. he progressed very quickly and has not used his Mickey Peg since about the 8 week mark. Kris tips the fluid into his mouth, tips his head back and somehow swallows. Even the Speech Therapist can't explain how he does this. So , now, Kris swallows all his nutrition. Though it is liquid. Smoothies , soups, blenderised meals etc.
Of course he will be able to communicate. Try holding your tongue still and talking. You can do it. Yes, it sounds a bit different, but it is still easily understood. Kris had a total Laryngectomy as well and he is able to communicate.
So, be positive. You are only at the very early stage and it certainly does get better. Kris leads a full life and we are grateful to still have him.
If there are any questions, or any help I can give you, please just ask me.
Tammy

Caregiver/advocate to Husband Kris age 59@ diagnosis
DX Dec '10 SCC BOT T4aN2bM0 HPV+ve.Cisplatin x3 35 IMRT.
PET 6/11 clear.
R) level 2-4 neck dissection 8/1/11 to remove residual node - necrotic with NED
Feb '12 Ca back.. 3/8/12 total glossectomy/laryngectomy/bilat neck dissection/partial pharyngectomy etc. clear margins. All nodes negative for disease. PEG in.
March 2017 - 5 years disease free. Woohoo!