hi Amy,

i just read about Minnie. kathy and i are very sorry to learn that Minnie's life was shortened by oral cancer. Minnie was\is a fantastic person.

kathy and i were at the oral cancer walk in VA beach. it was a beautiful day, lots of money was raised for the OCF, and best of all, we met fantastic folks whose lives were unfortunately touched by cancer. we recall chatting with Minnie. her uplifting spirit was evident. her pride in organizing an event that brought survivors and medical folks together. We learned things and had fun.

i particularly remember walking a few laps with Danny Boy. he was short in statue but tall in spirit. we smiled and laughed. we talked about survivor things. the sun was on our face and our backs we went around the track.

Minnie and Danny both clearly illustrated to me how important it is to enjoy each day. during a recent visit with a therapist, i was asked what i did each day that made me happy. i'd never thought about this much so my answer was short. the therapist told me to take pleasure in ordinary things that i do routinely. later i realized that i do enjoy those things, but i don't take time to tell myself that. now i count a few blessings each day. its surprising how much better i feel.

i think Minnie and Danny knew how to count their blessings.. and they did it well and spread the sunshine.

i miss them both and all the folks that added to the spirit of the day in VA Beach. that day was a big blessing. thank you for all that you did to make it such a wonderful event.

cu,
larry and kathy bliven
salisbury, MD

'01 diagnosis.. jaw hing and base of tongue. surgery not possible. JHU used radiation and chemo to seemingly rid me of the beast. peg for about 19 months. 100 cases of 24 cans of liquid food. 9 months eating therapy. 3x esophagus stretches. non-smoker. previously a social drinker.