Posted By: Amymcca Minnie - 10-30-2008 02:51 AM
Hi everyone,
At around 4pm today mom passed away. She had been sleeping most of the day but woke up with all of us girls, our dad, her mom and her brother in the room and said "you're all here." She talked for a little while and then just passed instantly. There was no pain or fear, she was just ready.

Now I have a favor to ask of all of you who knew a side of her that not many did. Mom asked each of us girls to say something at her memorial. Instead of a personal memory I would like to share with our friends and family the things she did on this board. If anyone can write something or even everyone contribute something for me to share I would really appreciate it. You guys were such a strength to her even in the end.

With love from our entire family,
Amy
Posted By: Markus Re: Minnie - 10-30-2008 03:06 AM
So sorry,

I am sure you will get a host of shared memories from the members here.

Markus
Posted By: PharmGirl Re: Minnie - 10-30-2008 03:12 AM
Amy,

Please know that I am thinking of you and your family and keeping you close in my prayers.

With love and my deepest sympathy,

Joy
Posted By: Susan2992 Re: Minnie - 10-30-2008 03:15 AM
Amy,

I'm new to the OCF board, and didn't "know" your mother. But I read so many messages regarding her that made me realize that she was a very special and caring women. Please accept my deepest sympathy.
Posted By: Lani G Re: Minnie - 10-30-2008 03:17 AM
Amy,

I'm so sorry. I only joined this site a month ago, so I never "knew" her, but I do know that she was loved by many here, as seen in the many posts about her over the last few weeks. She will be missed.

Lani
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Minnie - 10-30-2008 03:21 AM

Amy

I am so very very sorry. Your mother was a wonderful woman who will be missed greatly. I will post something soon to honor her. Right now, its a shock to read this. Im very sorry for your loss.
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: Minnie - 10-30-2008 03:50 AM
I am crushed by the loss of your mom. She was the FIRST to want to do something to support OCF from the board. She and all of your family organized he first OCF walk event and more. She was universally loved by everyone here, and gave back to others around her so readily, with an open, compassionate manner and heart. She was a sweet soul, and friend to many. Her posts here will continue to help people for many years to come since they contained so much really good and useful information. I wish you a quick passing of the pain associated with this loss, and a lifetime of remembering the good times.
Posted By: Hacklene Re: Minnie - 10-30-2008 05:06 AM
Amy,
My deepest sympathy to you and your family. She was an inspiration to me with her posts. I would often see her on my buddy list for e-mail late at night in your part of the country. She and I shared similuar type of oral cancer and surgery. She was always positive in her posts and encouraging to all. She was extremely proud of her "girls". She loved to share her experiences and fond memories of time spent on the beach with her family. We had planned to meet when I traveled to Virginia, but I haven't gone yet. She was really interested about life "in the West" (Arizona) and I was about life in Virginia. I will miss her. My best to all of you.

Hacklene
Posted By: MSG Re: Minnie - 10-30-2008 05:18 AM
Wow. I'm sorry to hear, but happy to know she passed peacefully with everyone by her side. That's very fortunate. I can only hope to pass away under similar circumstances.

She is now in a better place.
Posted By: Pandora99 Re: Minnie - 10-30-2008 06:30 AM
Amy

I am sitting here just gutted by your news. I didn't see this coming. Your mom was a huge source of strength and inspiration to me. We were both diagnosed with a recurrance at about the same time and I rooted for her every step of the way as I know she did for me and so very many others.

Her love of her family was paramount in her life. She was so very proud of all of you and I know she fought so hard to make everything as normal as possible for all around her.

I wish I had some magic words for your family, and for her OCF family. She will be missed by us all.

Donna
Posted By: Cookey Re: Minnie - 10-30-2008 06:53 AM
Every once in a while someone enters your life and touches it with their simple and straightforward love and optimism.Minnie was such a person.
she never gave up hope,and castigated those of us slipping into despair with her kindness and wisdom.The love she held for her family shone through every word she spoke.She accepted every curve ball this disease threw at her with fortitude and always saw the positives.An example to all who shared the journey with her,and will follow after her.

Rest in peace minnie,and say hi to robin for me.

love always

liz
Posted By: suemarie Re: Minnie - 10-30-2008 10:40 AM
Amy- Your wonderful Mom was such a caring person. She never hesitated to respond to a new member. In a club noone wants to be in she welcomed you and made you feel understood and hopeful. Her pride in her family was evident as well and she shared her good times as well as the bad. She will be sorely missed.

Sue
Posted By: Malka Re: Minnie - 10-30-2008 12:25 PM
Amy,
For Minnie "Why me?" was not complaining but introspective. She accepted the uncertainty, afflictions and discomforts of this horrid invasion with grace and wisdom. Her words from the heart, always pure and filled with love of her family, will continue to help and inspire others. Her posts will be there in probably every topic searched on the forum, informing and inspiring the frightened and inquiring who share our fate.
Minnie's passsing was a reflction of a life filled with love her of family. In our prayers, we were there with you and send our appreciation for all that she contributed to this forum. For the past few months we have missed hearing from her as you know from the many inquiries. Her special spirit was reflected in the updates you posted and we thank you for staying in touch.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Minnie - 10-30-2008 01:12 PM
Amy,

I remember to this day how much a PM she sent me when I first joined this site affected me. She basically said what we all say, "everything will be OK" but she was the first to go out of her way and PM me which made me feel welcomed and almost safe since it was coming from someone who had been around for a while.

I am so sorry and this is a reminder of how horrible this cancer is. To us that shared posts with her she will never be forgotten.
Posted By: Dragan Re: Minnie - 10-30-2008 01:13 PM
Amy and the family,

The world's glow is a little dimmer today from your Mom's passing. Throughout my journey with the beast, I often found inspiration, hope and optimism in your Mom's upbeat, pragmatic and realistic outlook on this disease. I can't begin to tell you how saddened I was to hear of her recurrence, and the news of her passing has left an empty place in my heart and those of the many, many friends she has made here at OCF.

I wish you and your family peace and healing from your huge loss. Your memories will be many, and I pray you will cherish them always as a testament of your Mother's strength of character and compassion. She will be deeply missed
Wayne
Posted By: Bailey4 Re: Minnie - 10-30-2008 01:59 PM
Heartfelt sympathy to you and your family. Minnie was always someone I would look for on the boards to read.....she always spoke from her heart and with such courage, and inner faith and strength. May she be at peace now from the evil Oral Cancer. She is still with you.....God Bless. Linda
Posted By: JeffL Re: Minnie - 10-30-2008 02:03 PM
Amy -- Your mom was one of those rare people who could rise above the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune to which she had been subjected. She developed a wisdom and insight that comes only from such transcendent experiences, and shared those freely with compassion and genuine understanding. She was a constant source of support and reassurance for me, and her passing will be truly mourned by all whose lives she touched. My deepest condolences for your loss.
Posted By: August Re: Minnie - 10-30-2008 04:28 PM
Dear Amy....and the rest of your family....I can only add my agreement to what others have said, that your mom was one of the most generous, HONEST, and positive persons I've met on this board.....or ever, for that matter. She never failed to answer my emails (except for one time when you, Amy, answered for her..You are obviously just as thoughtful as your mother!) My chief memory of your mom is that in the midst of her trials, she remained positive, accepted her fate, and didn't lose her faith. Her chief concern was not for herself, but for how her illness and her ultimate death would affect you girls. Her thoughts were never for herself, but for others, primarily her precious girls. I can't imagine your family without her, but having watched her courageous battle, I know that you wouldn't want her to suffer any more, and I am certain that you have learned from her how to be strong, loving and faith-filled. Take good care of each other now, and your dad. You will all need each other, but I know that she taught you how to do that, and if you look, you will see her in each of you always.

XO--Colleen
Posted By: marica_e Re: Minnie - 10-30-2008 05:39 PM
Dear Amy and Family.... We are all little poorer today for the loss of this fabulous lady and a little richer for having known her at all.
My Favourite memory is of when she shared with us the clip of her grand daughter singing a song fron Little mermaid... she loved you all so much.
I am so sorry.
Marica
Posted By: Susan Lauria Re: Minnie - 10-30-2008 08:13 PM
Amy,

Even though I never "spoke" with your mom on these boards, I read her messages since I registered. She was an inspiration and was amazed how much she was loved and respected by everyone at OCF.
I want to express my sincere sympathies to you and your family. Knowing how much she has helped people with her caring and thoughtful words should comfort you.

Susan
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Minnie - 10-30-2008 09:11 PM

Amy:

Words cant begin to express the good your mother shared thru OCF. She was a devoted and loyal memeber helping others even when she had her own problems. Minnie was one of the strongest women I have ever met. She helped me so much thru my first battle and we both had a recurrance about the same time this past spring. Minnie has been an inspiration to so many and we are all better people for being lucky enough to have known her. She was a very kind, generous, caring person who could never do enough for others and her family. She was a wonderful mother and passed on her best qualities to you and your sisters. In your sorrow, try to find comfort in your memories and know your mother is finally at peace without anymore pain.

Posted By: aussieh Re: Minnie - 10-30-2008 09:17 PM
Dear Minnie's family

Sincere condolences to you all.

I am quite simply devastated by this news. Minnie was the first person to welcome me to this board a few weeks after I was diagnosed. She was such a support to me as we travelled our paths. Sent me nutritious recipes for a dry mouth and shared some of her lifestyle with me. She was obviously a woman of great compassion.

I kept these words which Minnie wrote on this board because they are so wise and relevant to those who live with cancer:

[quote]
"...If anything, I want to inspire people on here, I want to help people feel power and help people know that there ARE things to be done to save our lives that we NEVER have to just say "well, this is it" and accept dying as our only choice. If I have 10 days or 10 years left is unknown. What I DO know is that I have the power to live them and respond to them in MY way. All that control is mine and I love that. It truly is a matter of living in the moment, a long lesson for me but such a valuable one. When I start to feel stressed or anxious, I go outside and take a deep, long breath of air. Then I look around for a few minutes and realize that beyond that exact moment, I have no control.....but that I DO have control of right then. So I enjoy it, walk back in the house, and resume my daily duties...."[/quote]

Rest in peace Minnie, you are greatly loved.
Helen
Posted By: azcallin Re: Minnie - 10-30-2008 11:17 PM
i joined after minnie had the recurrence, so did not have the opportunity or honor to know her, but reading thru the posts, I can see why she was so well loved by all. What a woman of courage, strength and compassion which helped so many.

My thoughts and prayers are with your family through this time. I lost my mom last year and I know the pain but now the tears are smiles thinking of her and all she meant to us.

God bless you as you continue in life and reap the rewards of being raised by such an amazing woman.
Posted By: TomT Re: Minnie - 10-31-2008 02:16 AM
This board has been a place that I turn to in the dark of night to find some words of wisdom, although I like many here have not had the opporunity to know your mother, rest assured that her words have helped many more people than even she knew and will continue to help others through the dark times.

Thoughts and prayers for you, your Mom and your family.
Posted By: wilckdds Re: Minnie - 10-31-2008 11:02 AM
Dear Amy and Family,

Your loss is our loss. My deepest sympathy to everyone on Minnie's passing.

I remember how excited I was just about a year ago that your mom and I were making plans to meet when she and your dad were going to go to NYC during the Christmas holidays. I just read through all of our emails and came across the folllowing:

"I'll keep you posted about Christmas time. Going to New York at this time of year has always been a dream of mine. We almost came last year, I even bought tickets to the Broadway show Hairspray but we ended up not being able to come. Sold my tickets to the show on Ebay if you can believe it! Thank goodness my daughters are up on that type of stuff, lol, sure re-couped me some of my money." But we are coming for sure this year, my husband is determined.

Sadly, this never happened and we never met face to face. Despite this fact, I feel that your mom and I had a special bond. Her advice and comforting words to those in need were an inspiration to all. I feel that I am a better person for having known her.

Minnie will be deeply missed.

Jerry
Posted By: girlcat36 Re: Minnie - 10-31-2008 12:01 PM
I am so sorry to hear this. Minnie's post were a source of inspration and upport for me. Rest in peace.
Posted By: Marie's daughter Re: Minnie - 10-31-2008 12:49 PM
Dear Minnie's family,

My heartfelt sympathy and prayers go out to you this morning. When I read your Mom's obituary in the local paper this morning, my heart broke. She was such a courageous woman of faith, determination and compassion for others. I will never forget the day I met Minnie, as she lovingly came over to talk to my Mom about her recent cancer diagnosis and what she could expect from her impending treatments. I can't express to you how wonderful it was for us to sit down and talk with someone who had been through that difficult journey ahead of us. Your mom was so willing to be transparent, explaining the details of radiation and their terrible side effects with such gentleness and compassion. We also shared that day a bond that can never be broken: our deep faith in the Lord. I know the Lord sent your Mom to us through this OCF board, and she was such an inspiration and comfort to us at a very scary time. She gave me her phone number and encouraged us to call anytime with questions, concerns, or if we just needed to talk. Your Mom showed my Mom (and our family) the Christ-like love she so deeply believed in. Though I am deeply saddened by the loss of such a wonderful lady, I rejoice in the knowledge that she and my Mom are together in Heaven, rejoicing with their Savior, and finally CANCER FREE!!

My mom lost her battle with cancer in June of 2006, and though it is still sometimes hard to realize that she is not here with us, I can smile at the many memories and the wonderful legacy she has left for us to cherish. Your Mom has truly left you a legacy- She touched SO many lives with her strength, determination, compassion, and LOVE. She will never be forgotten, and you will ALWAYS carry her spirit with you through the wonderful person she raised you (and her entire family) to be!

My thoughts and prayers are with you today and in the days ahead. Thank you for sharing your precious Mom with so many! She was deeply loved, and her legacy will live on through her family, friends, and the OCF.

In His love (and with many tears),
Laura

Posted By: Leslie B Re: Minnie - 10-31-2008 01:43 PM
The obituary to which Laura (Marie's daughter) is referring is here.

Amy, I always looked for your mom's posts. She was generous with her knowledge and experience -- her words were comforting to newcomers, yet realistic about the road ahead. Like everyone else here, I am mourning her loss and celebrating her spirit.
Posted By: Nelie Re: Minnie - 10-31-2008 05:47 PM
I just got the news Minnie died (thank you, Sophie, for the pm) and I'm heartbroken. I will come back here and post when I've had a little time to process the news. Amy, my thoughts and prayers are with you and the rest of your family in your time of loss.

Nelie
Posted By: Gary Re: Minnie - 10-31-2008 06:12 PM
This was an email (April 2007) that I got from Minnie after I sent her photos from the OCF Las Vegas "reunion". It just goes to show what a huge heart Minnie had for all of us and how involved she was in helping others:

Beautiful pictures Gary...........thank you very much for sending them. The ones of Danny put me in tears. I did have the absolute HONOR of meeting him and spending some great time with him and Marcee. My kids loved him, hung on him the whole two days. My doctors came to my walk and so did a bunch of professors and students from the local Dental College and they fell in love with him to. He had such a positive effect on others.

It is sad that so many have passed. When I looked at Rosies picture all I could think is that her daughter died at the age MY oldest daughter is right now. I can only imagine how that must have altered her life and how she looks at life.

And here we are Gary, still alive, healthy as horses, one of the lucky ones..............blah, blah, blah!! Do you ever feel that way, lol. I get sick of people telling me how lucky I am, but it only lasts for a couple seconds!

Take care and thanks for the pictures.
Minnie

"What is your life? It is a mist that appears for a little while then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)

This is the time to love one another, assess your own life and appreciate what you have been gifted with. Honor your spouse and your family (as Minnie so proudly did). Minnies passing is a hard lesson for all of us to make everything we can out of each day (and in her memory).

Rest in peace Minnie and pray for us survivors to carry on the work that you started. You WILL be missed.

Posted By: Carol L Re: Minnie - 10-31-2008 09:26 PM
To Minnie's family, Your Wife, Mom and Daughter will be missed so much. Minnie helped me so many times with this dreaded disease. She was a fighter and I am sure she put up a good one this time, too. I loved her so much and enjoyed the Oral Cancer Walk she organized. She was an awesome woman. I look forward to seeing her again in heaven. May she rest in peace....Love, Carol
p.s. Amy, thank you for always being so kind and answering my emails about your Mom and if I can be of any help, do not hesitate to let me know.
Posted By: Dr. Mike Re: Minnie - 10-31-2008 11:30 PM
Amy,
My heartfelt thoughts and deepest symapthy to you, your sisters and your whole family.
I share the loss and sadness that so many have expressed. I also will celebrate and remember her strength, wisdom and spirit that inspired so many people.
Minnie has changed the lives and outlooks of many people and will be deeply missed.
I will certainly always remeber her compassion and positive spirit. I learned a lot from your mother and will miss her.
My prayers go out to all of you.

Mike
Posted By: Me2 Re: Minnie - 10-31-2008 11:41 PM
To Amy and the rest of Minnie's family,

I read about your Mother's hospitalization while I was sitting in the waiting room at MD Anderson to see my doctors for my 2 1/2 year checkup. I felt stricken, because although I never had the priviledge of communicating with Minnie directly, I read so many of her posts to others and also the ones about how much her family meant to her, and felt I knew her through those.

Later that night, after arriving home with an all clear from all my docs, I told my husband how lucky we were and how we had to keep remembering to live each day to the fullest. I just read Gary's post and his words say it best:
"This is the time to love one another, assess your own life and appreciate what you have been gifted with. Honor your spouse and your family (as Minnie so proudly did). Minnies passing is a hard lesson for all of us to make everything we can out of each day (and in her memory)."

My deepest sympathy, thoughts and prayers to all of you...

Posted By: Uptown Re: Minnie - 11-01-2008 01:32 AM
Amy,

I first crossed paths with Mama Minnie, Broadsword, Scuby and Anna during my treatment in September of 2003 on Delphi Forums. I knew instantly that of all things in life, we shared our love of Christ and our love of family. Over the years we had talked so many times of meeting face to face yet time is this elusive thing that has no boundaries. I planned a trip to Rescue with eager anticipation of moving my mother's best friend back to Texas but especially of that magical moment of meeting your mother. I missed the walk because I was too ashamed to admit I couldn't afford it after not working for several years because of my mother's illness, my Hep C treatment and my cancer. The week I was planning the trip, my friend had a fatal heart attack.

This summer I became obsessed with (MY) time and I had told your mother I would find a way to visit her yet now my selfishness has prevented that, at least in this secular world we live in.

Know in your heart that your mother always showed the love of Christ in all she did, all she said and all she lived. Her recent battles were something she faced head on but my cowardice prevented me from being able to face what she was going through. I worked so hard to get people to donate to Minnie's Miracle and really enjoyed the focus and especially the love that surrounded her family in even this endeavor.

I cry for your family because my heart is so heavy yet I smile because I know her love will always be with all of you. I also smile because I know she looked into the eyes of Christ as she heard the word's we all want to hear, "Well done my good and faithful servant!"

Today I pray that God will provide your entire circle of family and friends with comfort and peace; that He will surround you with the many people that have walked by your side through this journey and above all He will fill that special spot in your heart with His love.

I thank you and your family for sharing your wonderful mother with all of us and I also pray that each day will be even a little bit easier and the pain you are experiencing now will be less every day.

I offer my deepest sympathy and condolences for your family and as everyone else is saying, the world is a better and brighter place because of your mother.

Ed
Posted By: Donnarose Re: Minnie - 11-01-2008 01:37 AM
Amy,
I am so sorry for your loss. I absolutely adored your mom, she helped me and so many others here. Here is something she shared with me, hope it helps. God Bless You all and forever our Dear Minnie.

Top Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote Email Topic
Unread By: none

#2115 - 16/09/07 07:22 PM Re: Hello
minniea
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Loc: va. beach Hi Donna,
Thank you for the PM, sometimes it's nice to talk "off" the board too.
I come across as strong as I can on the board, and I usually AM strong........but, like you, I have my moments of fear and weakness!
We play the hand we're dealt, don't we? And we play it the best we can, with what we have. God already knows what's going to happen so I trust him, I put it in His hands long ago. I'm like you though, when I'm fearful feeling, I just can't seem to remember how to pray as well, it's tough to explain but I think you understand.

Take care Donna and always know that the days get better and these situations in life always come to an end. I'm thinking of you and your mom.

Love,
Minnie

---------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Min,
Since you are with our friends Petey, Bren and Robin, give them a hug and a kiss from me. I'll miss you always.
Love,
Donna

Posted By: Nelie Re: Minnie - 11-01-2008 11:42 AM
Gary, I conquered my first round of tears at Minnie's death and came back to read your post which brought tears all over again. It was a lovely post. You are right that the absolute best way to honor Minnie is to enjoy our days and moments here on earth, love our family, live our faith, and be compassionate to others who are struggling.

Amy, I valued the interactions I had with your mom because of all the things other people have mentioned here; her deep faith, her overall positivity, her obvious love of her family and concern for other people she met here and all the work she did to help other people going through this. But I will add that one of the reasons I will miss her deeply in addition to all that is that she was such an honest and authentic person. We did a couple of PMs back and forth at one time, when she and I were both struggling with feelings about being on a feeding tube, and she was very frustrated by it right at that point, and said clearly that she didn't think anyone going through cancer treatment should have to always act positive if they were feeling discouraged or like they needed a moment of self-pity. I recall her saying that somewhere in one of her public postings as well though I can't recall what thread it took place in.

In her posts and her pms as well as what she posted to her Carepages, what I loved about Minnie was she let us see her when she was scared and when she was discouraged and was as honest about being in those places as she was about being hopeful and having faith. Her post to Donna above is a great indication of that. As a result, I never felt I had to be anything other than what I was with her and that she would care about me and understand anyway. I think that's the impression she made on most people and I'm sure that's part of what you'll miss about her as a mother.

Amy, last year when your mom found out she had a recurrence I sent her a pm asking her if she minded if I lit a candle for her in our church service and she said she would be honored by that. I will light a candle for her memory in tomorrow's service and for all of her family surviving her. You were truly what she cared about most and was justifiably proud of. Your mom will live on in my memory as long as I live.

Nelie
Posted By: Donnarose Re: Minnie - 11-01-2008 12:02 PM
Oh Nelie,
That is a wonderful idea! I will go also and light a candle. There isn't much to help a grieving heart except time, memories and family and most importantly the love you shared with that person.
Gary, Ed, and....so many....each of your posts struck me as so true, and so very healing. I hope all the love shared here aide in the pain they all are suffering inside.
On a personal note, I pray that Minnie finds my brother-in-law's mother, Marian. She was just diagnosed Tuesday with lung and liver cancer, she died 12 hours later. Both of these women were such loving wives, mother's, grandmothers, sisters and friends...I hope they can meet and share in God's love together for a moment and each of their loved ones can be embraced by that love eternally.
God Bless Everyone. I'm on my way to light a candle.
Amy, I hope today is a little easier for you all.
Much love,
Donna
Posted By: EzJim Re: Minnie - 11-01-2008 12:27 PM
Amy, Minnie helped me thru many hard times and I owe her a debt of gratitude and will for the rest of my time on earth. She was a very thoughtful and gracious lady. The family has all of my sympathy. God Bless you all.
Posted By: debandbill Re: Minnie - 11-01-2008 08:23 PM
I would like to write several eloquent paragraphs as many here have done so well but I will simply say what comes to my mind today as I mourn her death and and think about her legacy here.

The love for her family was so apparent each time she "talked" to us here. She always seemed more worried about them than herself and her illness.

She had so much common sense. Her replys to everyone cut to the chase and I loved that.

I am devastated that she is gone and I will miss her. I will pray that your family, Amy..your dad and all your siblings find strength and love and peace in the coming days and months.

Minnie, God's speed!

Deb

Posted By: jennie Re: Minnie - 11-02-2008 01:14 PM
What an amazing woman that we have lost. If we were to look in the OCF pages there are hundreds of messages from her. Not counting the private messages that she sent to so many of us. Grateful for her...educated at times by her...comforted by her.
Thank you Minnie- I hope your dancing in heaven!
Jennie
Posted By: Cathy G Re: Minnie - 11-02-2008 06:51 PM
Amy,

I am truly sorry for the loss you must be feeling at this time. Your mom obviously drew a great deal of strength from her loving family, and was able to share so much of that strength with her "family" here, in a most unselfish and gracious way. It's amazing when you consider how many lives she touched, in so many parts of the world, with her words of advice and encouragement even at times when she was battling for her life.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Cathy
Posted By: peace4uall Re: Minnie - 11-02-2008 10:49 PM
Oh Amy,
I am crying as I write. I can only imagine how you must feel-so
many things at one time. You and your family have my deepest
compasionate sympathy. Your mom tried to help me but I was so
upset, I could not see the light. I apologized later for my
actions and she said she fully understood.
I have missed her on here and I can only imagine how you will miss her. You must keep her memory alive as I do all the time with my grown children about their grandmother. There is always a memory to share and something to do exactly as "mother" did it.
It will take awhile to sit with this news.

Your Mom was a fighter and a "doer" in life. I shall never get
over her gift to all of us of her time and wisdom.

We must all keep us this fight to live and to conquer disease
and to learn to live each day as the last, and to be good to each other and help each other and quide each other as your Mother did.

God Bless you and your family today and always.
Debbie from Roanoke, VA.
Posted By: richmond girl Re: Minnie - 11-04-2008 01:30 AM
Amy,

Your mom and I messaged back a forth a few times since I am from Richmond and she had asked about doctors. She provided more support to me than she ever knew. I would think of her often just down the road from me. I am glad she was able to have everyone around her and just slip on to the next life. Prayers of peace and comfort to you and your family.

Fondly,
Cindy
Posted By: JAM Re: Minnie - 11-05-2008 02:16 AM
Minnie will always have a special place in my heart. When John had his recurrance, she was at my side [via e-mail] for several weeks, discussing what his surgery would be like [much like hers] and what would likely happen aftrward recovery wise. She sent me pictures of her - on horseback- so we could see how good she looked! She eased our fears with her generous spirit and willingness to share and most of all her great outlook on life. What a strong woman she was! She loved you all so much. Don't ever forget that and I sincerely hope all of her children have inherited her incredible spirit and love of life. Amy in the Ozarks
Posted By: Eileen Re: Minnie - 11-05-2008 10:42 PM
I can't believe this happened. Minnie joined this board about 3 months after I did and has been helping members almost daily ever since until her recent occurence, especially those who were facing the same surgery she originally had. I used to swear she had a bell on her computer that went off anytime a question was raised as to whether PEG tube was needed. We went many rounds in what came to be called 'the PEG tube wars'. I unfortunately never got to meet her or any of you thanks to the Delaware deciding to flood me in the weekend of the walk, but you could feel her good nature in all her posts. She loved you girls and I'm certain had a powerful influence on all those girls she coached for so many years. I am so sorry she lost her fight with this dreaded disease. She will be missed by all who knew her. My deepest sympathy to you and your family.

Take care,
Eileen
Posted By: Tedsdaughter Re: Minnie - 11-09-2008 11:40 PM
Oh, Amy. . . I am so so sorry to hear about Minnie. She was so supportive of my Dad and myself when he was getting ready to have the same surgery she had. She emailed me with every concern and possibility that could happen. She was invaluable to us and an angel on this board. ;( many tears for your loss as I lost my Dad in September and I totally understand your pain and loss.

Take care and know that she is in a much better place. My deepest sympathy to you and your family.

Laura

Posted By: mhupe Re: Minnie - 11-10-2008 02:07 AM
Amy,

I have been off the boards for quite some time and was shocked and saddened to learn of the passing of your mom.

My deepest sympathy to you and your family.

Margaret
Posted By: digtexas Re: Minnie - 11-11-2008 09:02 PM
Amy,
I am so sorry to hear about your family's great loss with Minnie's passing. As so many others have stated, she was upbeat, pragmatic, and willing to take the bull by the horns when it came do dealing with this dreaded disease, and was always there for others. I too, like Nelie and Gary, Donna and a few others am an old hand here who has been around a pretty long while and got the chance to read so many of your mom's wonderful posts, and I remember enjoying viewing her website as well.
Nowadays, sometimes it seems like cancer is so far behind me and so remote, that it hardly crosses my mind. I don't come to this site too often anymore and I expect to go on living to an old age like everyone else around me. However your mom's passing reminds me that those of us here, maybe more than other people, had better live our lives and enjoy our loved ones while we can.

Regards,
Danny G.
Posted By: Andrea Re: Minnie - 11-12-2008 08:45 PM
Amy,
I just saw your sad news about Minnie. She was a tower of strength to those of us who came to this board for help. She certainly lighted the way through the darkness of fear and pain. I can almost see her up there now, talking to Danny Boy and watching over her family from her new command post in heaven.

Andrea
Posted By: Marlene41 Re: Minnie - 11-13-2008 04:40 AM
Hi, Amy -
I didn't know your mother, but reading others' messages showed me what a wonderful woman she was. That she is still able to gather people to her is a testament to her ability to touch many. My heart goes out to you at your great loss. To those who knew her my condolences, also. It's not often our lives are enriched by someone like her.

Marlene

Posted By: larryfb Re: Minnie - 11-15-2008 02:24 AM
hi Amy,

i just read about Minnie. kathy and i are very sorry to learn that Minnie's life was shortened by oral cancer. Minnie was\is a fantastic person.

kathy and i were at the oral cancer walk in VA beach. it was a beautiful day, lots of money was raised for the OCF, and best of all, we met fantastic folks whose lives were unfortunately touched by cancer. we recall chatting with Minnie. her uplifting spirit was evident. her pride in organizing an event that brought survivors and medical folks together. We learned things and had fun.

i particularly remember walking a few laps with Danny Boy. he was short in statue but tall in spirit. we smiled and laughed. we talked about survivor things. the sun was on our face and our backs we went around the track.

Minnie and Danny both clearly illustrated to me how important it is to enjoy each day. during a recent visit with a therapist, i was asked what i did each day that made me happy. i'd never thought about this much so my answer was short. the therapist told me to take pleasure in ordinary things that i do routinely. later i realized that i do enjoy those things, but i don't take time to tell myself that. now i count a few blessings each day. its surprising how much better i feel.

i think Minnie and Danny knew how to count their blessings.. and they did it well and spread the sunshine.

i miss them both and all the folks that added to the spirit of the day in VA Beach. that day was a big blessing. thank you for all that you did to make it such a wonderful event.

cu,
larry and kathy bliven
salisbury, MD
Posted By: Mark Re: Minnie - 11-19-2008 04:55 AM
I am stunned to read this news today. I am sorry completely sorry to hear that Minnie is gone. I hope your family is lifted by your faith and that you find peace quickly replaces sadness.

Minnie will always remain as a very special person.
Posted By: Shar37 Re: Minnie - 01-04-2009 01:53 AM
I have been off the site for a while ..and I lost my original log in name ...so I am just now finding this out ..

I am soo sorry for your loss, she was an amazing , strong and courageous women , who inspired many of us and got alot of us through some long nights and hard days ....

I wish you and your family peace in the new year

Shar
Posted By: little sister Re: Minnie - 01-05-2009 12:48 AM
I am so sorry to hear about your mother's passing. She gave me words of comfort and peace when I needed them the most. My prayers are with you and your family.

Noemi
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum