I only hope that someday the PEG will be removed. Today I was able to swallow normal pudding (as opposed to thinned down pudding) at therapy. When I got home I made a Carnation and banana in the blender and drank all 8 oz and I just made a pudding for one and ate all of it. I have been trying creamed soups, but they taste salty to me. This is strange since the 20% of the tongue that I have is way in the back. Maybe I am tasting bitter. I still have a lot of trouble with residual and how to get rid of it. Sometimes a drink of milk will help, but mostly I end up having to "wash" my mouth.

Today I wondered how a custard filled donut with chocolate icing would fare in the blender. There are so many things that I want that do not seem like they would be good in semi-liquid form.

I am only 5 1/2 weeks post surgery so I feel that I should be happy with the progess that I am making. I am not the most patient person. I am very encouraged by the fact that others have returned to whole foods and are not dependent on the PEG anymore. It gives me hope.

SCC Floor of Mouth 7/06
9/06 Surgery, bilateral neck dissection, 58 nodes clear PT2pN0pMx
35 rad 2006
Recurred 6/08, 1 Carboplatin, 1 Cisplatin
Surgery 9/08 - Total glossectomy, free flap from pectoral muscle, left mandible replaced using fibula
35 IMRT & Erbitux 11/08
4/15/09 recurrence
6/1/09 passed away, rest in peace