Hi all --

Just another update -- well into second week after treatment and I can definitely see a positive change inside Barry;'s mouth (once-red areas are now deep pink, once deep-pink areas are now pale pink and look normal) and the little uvula that was swollen and bright red is now normal size and pink. But he still has a lot of sore areas -- mucositis, and probably still some thrush -- at very back of mouth, base of tongue on each side, soft palate and back of throat, the areas which got the most radiation. He continues with his aloe, rinses and coatings and has added an l-glutamine rinse and also, Vitamin-E capsule crushed in mouth and spread over sore areas a couple of times a day (MO says this is OK to do now as radiation is finished). Both have been shown in some studies to speed healing. He had stopped the Manuka honey for a while as the taste really got to him (it is very medicinal in flavor, not like "Sue Bee" honey) but will be resuming it today.
He is taking Mucinex for phlegm, which keeps it under control -- it is really more of an issue at night; certainly not as bad as a week or so ago but still an annoyance.

His skin is fine, maybe like he had a slight sunburn a while ago but mostly normal-looking. Some rough areas with dry skin so still using Biafine. (His skin never got broken or blistered). The hair at the base of his hairline (which had broken off) has started to grow and is about 1/3 inch long now; I noticed stubble starting on his cheeks in areas which were beard-free for weeks.

I think Barry is a bit disappointed that pain-wise things have not really gotten better but we were warned by the dental oncologist (who has just done a big study on side-effects of HNC radiation) that the end of the first week after treatment is when tissue healing begins, but that it takes at least another week and most probably two more, before the patient really feels a difference. That is, things are happening at the tissue level that will lead to resolution of the sores but that it takes a while for this to progress far enough to for the person to start to feel more "normal" in the mouth. So patience is the watchword! (For me too, I am getting tired of trying to make innovative soups etc.!)

The last two days we have had drenching rain (much needed, but...) however it's looking nice this morning and we will soon take the pooches out for their walk. It is important to continue to exercise and Barry is also using some of my (very) light weights to maintain some muscle tone while recovering.

It will be 4 weeks from next Tuesday before we see any of the Hopkins folks again (barring emergencies!) and Barry hopes he will look and feel a lot better by then!

Gail

CG to husband Barry, dx. 7/21/05, age 66, SCC rgt. tonsil, BOT, 2 nodes (stg. IV), HPV+, tonsillectomy, 7x carboplatin, 35x tomoTherapy IMRT w/ Ethyol @ Johns Hopkins, thru treatment 9/28/05, HPV vaccine trial 12/06-present. Looking good!