Barry's irritation spot was only on one side where he was stuck, and about 1.5" in diameter if that -- pretty well faded now, we shall see about Monday. I gather if he continues to react they will stop it, if not, will proceed with caution. We do get a mid-week break as they don' t give it on chemo days.

Have you seen your Dad's IMRT plan? We looked at Barry's with RO, he wanted to show us how much of his parotids were being spared with the tomo -- to reassure him in case he couldn't continue with the Ethyol. I know the RO who did Barry's plan (whose specialty is parotid-sparing and also, amiphostine) said the drug adds about a 9-10% boost to the sparing possible with IMRT or tomo, (this from my consult notes, I do not have the reference). So it is not the "be all and end all" -- the radiation plan is more important. We will also meet with dental onc on the 30th, whose specialty is saliva and radiation dentistry, to evaluate Barry's status. He is rather keen on the newish drug Evoxac, as is Barry's ENT who uses it herself (she had HNC 18 years ago).

Gail

CG to husband Barry, dx. 7/21/05, age 66, SCC rgt. tonsil, BOT, 2 nodes (stg. IV), HPV+, tonsillectomy, 7x carboplatin, 35x tomoTherapy IMRT w/ Ethyol @ Johns Hopkins, thru treatment 9/28/05, HPV vaccine trial 12/06-present. Looking good!