Good for you for being almost halfway through! Week 3 was the week when I suddenly got mucositis sores all over my mouth so it sounds like Barry is at about the same spot though doing a little better than I was (I was glad to hear they loosened Barry's mask slightly so his lips weren't pressed onto his teeth. Where I went, they would not try to loosen the mask around my mouth, where it pressed my lips into my teeth, even though I asked, and of course that's where I got the sores first and they STILL haven't completely healed in those spots). Week 4 was when I got my supply of Jevity (is that the precription stuff you got or does Hopkins use somehting else?) and by the end of week 4 the pain had gotten bad enough that I was pretty much using the tube for all my nutrition.

If he keeps taking oxycodone, be sure to keep giving him senesol or something like that. My medical oncologist, who was at sloan-Kettering , swears that the number 1, 2 and 3 problems associated with pain meds are constipation, constipation and constipation!

You've actually reminded me I have a bunch of Gelclair left and since I'm still having bad mouth pain, maybe I should start using it. For some reason which I still don't get, the onc. nurse I saweveryday for the amifostine shots said maybe I should stop using Gelclair during my treatment so I did. I wish I hadn't. But I'm still having mouth pain and it can't hurt to start using it again-it cost enough!

Nelie

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"