Last chemo today, the nurse gave Barry a hug -- but be assured he was not sorry to say good-bye. Four more radiations, the last three are just focussed on the primary tumor area (right tonsil and base of tongue) and will not hit anything else (thanks to the tomo machine). Barry's platelets were up again this week which I find amazing, they're now back in normal range though his hemocrit is still a bit down. Throat is pretty darned sore, and still some thrush present but manageable -- he just needs to time his pain-killers for meals.

The RO showed me how the tomo scans are meshed with the simulation scans to ensure 100% concurrence and overlap and thus very accurate targeting and sharp margins. We feel this technology is largely responsible for his relatively localized problems with mucositis (none in mouth proper) and phlegm. The rest of his good performance I attribute to his excellent health and condition going in and his upbeat and positive attitude throughout.

He is my hero!

Gail

CG to husband Barry, dx. 7/21/05, age 66, SCC rgt. tonsil, BOT, 2 nodes (stg. IV), HPV+, tonsillectomy, 7x carboplatin, 35x tomoTherapy IMRT w/ Ethyol @ Johns Hopkins, thru treatment 9/28/05, HPV vaccine trial 12/06-present. Looking good!